Upcoming High School Demolition

Hello. A local high school will be demolished this summer because its sinking due to the soil its built on. Is there anything I should do to increase my chance of getting a panel/alarms from the building? I don’t know who I should contact or what I should say. The school is literally five blocks from me. Are there certain things I shouldn’t say to avoid coming off as a security threat/creepy? Thank you for any responses.

If you go to a school in the district, say “I’m John Doe and I go to xyz school. Is there a chance I could get some of the old fire alarms from ABC school? Thanks, John Doe”

Well, that makes 2 of us. I myself am watching an old golf course resturaunt club house that has been boarded up for 4 years now and is like 4 blocks away from my house. It had a fire alarm system because I went there when it was still open. I have contacted the owner of the property and he said he will get back to me as soon as possible. I offered him to uninstall the devices my self, even though it will by highly unlikely because I am only 15 and because of liability issues. As for you, watch to see when the demolition fence goes up. Usually demolition companies will put up a big sign stating what will be built over that old property, and what the company is called. If there is a phone number on the sign, CALL IT. Then, state who you are and ask if some devices can be salvaged. It is only a question. Best thing to do is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Going to the school board may also work, depending on who owns the property. Hope this helps :wink:

[quote] If there is a phone number on the sign, CALL IT [/quote]

So much this. Worst they can do is say no, best they can do is offer to have you come in and pull everything out. If you are friends with maintenance people at your school, see if they know anybody higher up who can get you into the school.

[quote=ConorTheFAguy6 post_id=79963 time=1523353150 user_id=4065]

Well, that makes 2 of us. … Best thing to do is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Going to the school board may also work, depending on who owns the property. Hope this helps :wink:

[/quote]

Make that three. I got in contact with the director of operations and they haven’t gotten back to me yet.

Your best bet is to try and make a contact at the site and see if they will help you out. A lot of minor demolition jobs are completed by small excavation or grading companies. Drop by the site once in a while and see if you can talk to a worker there - they may very well be willing to grab a few devices for you.

Unless you actually negotiate to purchase the salvage rights to specific equipment in the facility and go through the legal liability process as I have done in the past, it is unlikely anyone will let you take a great deal of time to strip out the whole facility, especially as a minor.

Long story, get out there and talk to someone. Calling or emailing the company will likely do squat for your efforts, as it will be much easier to explain why and how you wish to remove devices from the building to a worker in person.