Edwards/EST: A division of Federal Signal?

Did some fire alarm photographing this past weekend and found an old Edwards FACP in a college. I took a closer look and it said 'Edwards: A Division of Federal Signal". Federal signal does make some fire alarms, but mainly fire alarms and other warning devices, such as fire truck sirens. Is there any alarm or anything with the Edwards name that was manufactured by FS that anyone knows of? I took pictures of the panel, but somehow they got lost. I’ll look for them on my computer.

You sure it didn’t say “General Signal”?

As mentioned by mjb1124, you most likely saw the GS logo on that panel. It looks like this:

As for Edwards-branded Federal Signal alarms, the only one I’ve heard of is the E-450, which is a rebadged version of the older 450 horn (photo is from a past eBay auction):

I didn’t know that Edwards rebranded Federal Signal alarms! This is very interesting and looks really cool. I do like the way that horn looks!

Was it available in the US or just in Canada?

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80103 time=1524172134 user_id=18]

Was it available in the US or just in Canada?

[/quote]

The one pictured above is from the US, as evidenced by the fact that the horn’s label lists Edwards’s Norwalk, CT location (older Canadian Edwards devices listed the company’s Owen Sound, ON location on their labels). I don’t know if Edwards ever sold these horns in Canada; I wouldn’t be surprised if these devices were exclusive to the US market.

Huh. I wonder if it had its own light plate with it or if it used an Edwards light plate.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=80110 time=1524208388 user_id=18]

Huh. I wonder if it had its own light plate with it or if it used an Edwards light plate.

[/quote]

It’d go well with a Simplex 4050-80 though.

Yeah but they have the 4041 for that. And one of the schools over in my state DOES have them paired like that. Specifically the school that coolsimasguy goes to. Oh if only I had lived in West Warwick at that time. Then again, I wouldn’t have gotten to experience 3 alarms I never heard of before.

[quote="El Chupacabra" post_id=80095 time=1524093564 user_id=2572]

As mentioned by mjb1124, you most likely saw the GS logo on that panel. It looks like this:

As for Edwards-branded Federal Signal alarms, the only one I’ve heard of is the E-450, which is a rebadged version of the older 450 horn (photo is from a past eBay auction):

[/quote]

As far as I know, Edwards was a part of General Signal before they were bought by Charlotte, NC-based SPX Corp. in 1998, so that explains the GS on the Edwards logo.

Thanks for all the info! I hope to be returning to the building next week to grab some more photos of the panel.

OK, i’ve gone back to the building. I got to talk to maintenance and opened the panel and got to mess with it, i’ll post a picture of the panel while closed later. Thanks for your input, I have figured out it IS a General Signal.