BluePoint police alarms

I read somewhere where someone stated that all schools should have police alarm systems. Here’s a question: If someone pulled the police alarm would it disable the fire alarm (and vice versa)? It would lead to confusion if they both activated at the same time.

Also if kids started pulling the police alarm as a prank it would lead to a lot more panic than a false fire alarm pull.

[quote=Housedays post_id=80169 time=1524534667 user_id=2894]

Here’s a question: If someone pulled the police alarm would it disable the fire alarm (and vice versa)? It would lead to confusion if they both activated at the same time.

[/quote]

Yes it would. Ideally it should in my opinion, but at the end of the day it comes down to user training. If people know to disregard the fire alarm during a lockdown situation, it will make things a lot better. Perhaps even testing it - activating the fire alarm during a lockdown drill to see what people do.

a modern fire alarm can do everything the bluepoint thing can, but much cheaper since the system is already in place.

[quote=chris+s post_id=80190 time=1524615442 user_id=3064]

a modern fire alarm can do everything the bluepoint thing can, but much cheaper since the system is already in place.

[/quote]

I definitely agree. I think it’s a tad unnecessary to run all new wiring. For example, if it were a Notifier system, you could toss a minimod in an STI push station next to a few fire pulls. At that point you’re right next to the SLC wiring so it would be easy to tie into the system.