Early Wheelock Mini Horn?

I noticed in this catalog, there seems to be a mini horn on pg.16. Is this an older mini horn, or is it still an MIZ?

1 Like

That is such a crazy find! Anyway, if I’m assuming the grille is the same as the EH, then it’s either the same as a GX-90 horn or it sounds lke an early Wheelock horn/strobe (so resembling the TrueAlert).

1 Like
[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=80542 time=1527211099 user_id=3956]

That is such a crazy find! Anyway, if I’m assuming the grille is the same as the EH, then it’s either the same as a GX-90 horn or it sounds lke an early Wheelock horn/strobe (so resembling the TrueAlert).

[/quote]

Just like Siemens did with their U-MMT, U-MHU, and U-MHST, and additionally, their U-MH and U-MHT.

Thats pretty neat, I know mini horns were starting to get more popular in the 90s, We service many Mirtone systems with silver Mirtone mini horns and Wheelock 34t-24s.

I’m guessing they’d still sound like a GX-90/typical smoke detector sounder.

I’m still curious about the “slow whoops”. And those weird-sounding signals in a UAlbany dorm that had the octogonal grilles and 7002T-type strobe, but made a weird sort of tone that sounded like a mechanically-generated Hi/Lo set to some type of code.

[quote=mjb1124 post_id=80679 time=1527951701 user_id=3464]

I’m still curious about the “slow whoops”. And those weird-sounding signals in a UAlbany dorm that had the octogonal grilles and 7002T-type strobe, but made a weird sort of tone that sounded like a mechanically-generated Hi/Lo set to some type of code.

[/quote]

They’re not actually the only ones to make a slow whoop signal (outside from multitone devices).
Faraday/Cerberus Pyrotronics also made a Slow Whoop strobe:
http://firealarmresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2529.pdf

[/quote]

That’s weird. The ES-EL1 looks exactly like that, but never made a mechanical sounding tone. I know the CH-BF1 chime/strobe was capable of being converted into a speaker, so maybe there was an earlier version that could do that.

https://firealarms.tv/collection/pyrotronics-es0-24s/ - a rebranded ES-EL1-WS-24

I also know that there were earlier versions of the ET-1010 speakers and speaker strobes called the 806 and 819T, which had a smooth, rather than “layered” backing. Perhaps the ES-series also had an older counterpart.

Fire Alarms for sale | eBay - Pictures of an 819T
http://resource.boschsecurity.us/certificates/UL_STH_15S_UUMW_Certificate_US_UL_enUS_17571318027.pdf - Description of an 806T
FAZone - Fire Alarms - Fire Alarm Collection - Wheelock "V7001-24" - A V7001 with a replacement strobe from an 806 unit

Also, have you personally heard the signal?

I heard these signals online when the video was up. It might not have been a mechanical tone. The two notes were about an octave below the ones on the Wheelock MT hi/lo, and had more of a screechy/raspy sound to them. It was making some type of coded pattern similar to the military chant “Left, left, left right left”, but with a quick “right” before the second left. (Guess you could say it’s a different sort of “march time.”)

[/quote]

It is also worth noting how a non-temporal smoke alarm pulses, but a mini horn in continuous does a continuous tone without any pulsing.

Weird tone indeed.

[quote=thegeet post_id=80769 time=1528562177 user_id=3758]

It is also worth noting how a non-temporal smoke alarm pulses, but a mini horn in continuous does a continuous tone without any pulsing.

[/quote]

The older System Sensor mini horns for the MASS and SpectrAlert pulsed.

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=80773 time=1528580421 user_id=3956] [quote=thegeet post_id=80769 time=1528562177 user_id=3758]

[/quote]

The older System Sensor mini horns for the MASS and SpectrAlert pulsed.

[/quote]

That may be one exception. Also have y’all heard the Whelen smoke alarm? They make a continuous uninterrupted tone.

This is the MIN mini-horn, which was the predecessor to the MIZ. An ad for this series can be found in the NFPA Fire Journal (official archive here, on page 77 of the PDF). The ad claims that the MIN series produces a broadband sound that is more effective than narrowband piezoelectric alarms, which may mean it sounds like the ES or EH series.

Also, the CSFM listing for the ET-1000 speakers includes additional models ending in 1 (ET-1011, ET-1071, ET-1081, ET-1091). I suspect that these may have been the slow whoop signals, as they were also grouped with the speakers in this catalog.

Nice find! The MIN must have had a fairly short production run.

I wasn’t aware that old NFPA publications had been scanned and uploaded online. That’s an amazing resource—I’ll likely end up spending a bit too much time browsing through those old issues now that I know where to find them.

The MIN must have had a fairly short production run.

I’m not sure when the MIN was released, but it seems to have existed back in 1986, as it appears in the first brochure in this thread (which should also be somewhere in the NFPA archives). I couldn’t find any ad for the MIN earlier than the linked one from 1988, so it could have existed for longer.

Also, if this provides any more information, the MIN-12 and MIN-24 are still UL listed.

I looked a bit further, and it seems like Wheelock made slow whoop signals referred to as the “EW” series, according to this UL listing, and there is one recording online. It’s still possible that the ET-10x1 devices were older slow whoops, since these seem to be from the EH/EHS/AES generation, while the older slow whoop signals existed in 1986 according to the first advertisement in the “Lots of old brochures” thread.