Why do people think that lifting a squealing stopper activates the alarm?

Why do people think when they lift a stopper and it starts squealing that they’ve set off the fire alarm? Just what do they think the pull station is there for? Do they think it is just there for backup in case lifting the cover doesn’t sound the alarm?

Some stoppers says something among the line of “LIFT ALARM WILL SOUND” (IIRC), so it wouldn’t surprise me that people mistake a stopper II being hooked to a actual FA system.

Probably so they get scared when they think the sound the Stopper siren is the fire alarm itself.

I imagine that they get confused if they lift it up and they hear something go off especially if it says that the alarm will sound if the cover is lifted up. I know that if I didn’t know how they really worked, I would probably believe the same thing.

[quote=Housedays post_id=80674 time=1527927473 user_id=2894]

Why do people think when they lift a stopper and it starts squealing that they’ve set off the fire alarm? Just what do they think the pull station is there for? Do they think it is just there for backup in case lifting the cover doesn’t sound the alarm?

[/quote]

Because they’re uneducated. I have family members that have that problem.

I wouldn’t call it being uneducated. Just an honest mistake.