Help, I'm scared of fire alarms

I have a unquenchable thirst for fire alarms, yet they are too loud and make my ears hurt. I would love to start a collection yet I can’t get myself to even look at an alarm. Where should I start my collection?

[quote=xxMrfir3al4rm69xx post_id=80725 time=1528209740 user_id=4615]

I have a unquenchable thirst for fire alarms, yet they are too loud and make my ears hurt. I would love to start a collection yet I can’t get myself to even look at an alarm. Where should I start my collection?

[/quote]

As someone who once had a fear of fire alarms myself, I can tell you that starting a collection is one of the greatest ways to conquer your fear. A good place to start would be watching YouTube videos, which of course allow you to control the volume, and find a good starter device (something that produces a tone that you’re confortable with). Personally, I’d recommend starting with either a remote strobe or chime/strobe to get more comfortable around fire alarms, and then gradually move up from there. The beauty about fire alarms is that they aren’t all loud and scary, and there are a whole range of options to choose from in terms of both loudness and tone.

Are you in school? If so, how do you handle fire drills?

I’m not sure the fear ever really goes away but for me if I know that there is gonna be a drill, that is what makes it unbearable for me. If I don’t know, I’m sort of fine. But I do worry about walking out in the hallway during the times when a fire drill is most likely to happen. Are you actually SCARED of them themselves or just the anxiety that it might go off?

The reason I asked is because I was afraid of them to the point of wanting to skip preschool. But being forced to go through them more in elementary school got me over that, and that’s around the time my interest developed. Nobody accommodated me, and that’s probably one of the reasons why I got over the fear so early.

People are interested by the things that scare us - roller coasters, dangerous animals, and for some, fire alarms. The key to reducing the fear is to increase your understanding. Take away the “magic”, and learn how everything works.

Welcome to the board! I, too was scared of fire alarms until about 3 years ago. I was into Tornado Warning sirens, and figured i’d watch a fire alarm video since I like loud noises. I ended up on NewAgeServerAlarm’s System test 31. Since then, I have loved fire alarms. I’d suggest watching YT videos, and go from there.

I feel like this thread should be moved to the beginner subforum. It seems like a helpful thread. I can’t giv any advice, because it was already given. Anyways, good luck on conquering your fear!

Just like Epic Fire Alarms said, start with a chime strobe like a Wheelock CH70 or a remote strobe like a Wheelock RSS. I started to really fear alarms in middle school, with the Wheelock NS in most classrooms. Finally, I decided to look into fire alarms, to find out which is which, and from then on my interest grew immensely.

-Have a nice day!

The OP of this topic has been banned and a subsequent vulgar post by a sockpuppet account of theirs has been removed from the discussion. The sockpuppet account has also been banned.

This topic appears to have been created as a prank. Although forum users were not exposed to it, I had already edited a significant portion of the original post to remove vulgar language before I approved it. The second post by the sockpuppet account confirmed to me that this topic was intended to mock this community.

For those reasons, this topic will be locked. We will continue to investigate the source of these posts.

Anyone with questions or concerns is free to PM me. Thanks!