Fire, Inclement Weather, Lockdown, and Other Disaster Prevention Drills for the 2018-2019 School Year

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

And in the school they have clear ones?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:10 pm
And in the school they have clear ones?
No, they’re two separate alarms. The lockdown strobes are remote, mounted outdoors but also in commons areas and big rooms like the gym or cardio or testing centers. These are usually to tell buses or cars and unaware students/teachers to not go to the school or leave the school if they go off. The actual speaker/strobes serve as the building’s main alarm system.
blm // he/him
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: firefreak57

We had a fire drill at 10:22 AM EDT.
Nothing else to report, some seniors chose to skip school today so evacuation was much faster than normal with the ~50 or so students missing.

I did catch activation this time. Principal said go ahead over the radio (we use Mortorola UHF radios of some sort; district probably has its own frequency) and alarms went off moments later. This furthers my conclusion that we use the manual evac feature on the 4020, especially since members of the FD disappeared down near the mech room when they entered (I happened to be in a room near the front of the building so you can hear everyone going in and out), but they may hit a pull station, idk.

Even though our May drill will likely take place after I have graduated (commencement is May 19th), I’m gonna try and ask the admins if I can come in after the fact and help in conducting a fire drill.
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

If you are able to, see if you can go around the school and catch the different pitches of the alarms.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

firefreak57 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:14 pm
We had a fire drill at 10:22 AM EDT.
Nothing else to report, some seniors chose to skip school today so evacuation was much faster than normal with the ~50 or so students missing.

I did catch activation this time. Principal said go ahead over the radio (we use Mortorola UHF radios of some sort; district probably has its own frequency) and alarms went off moments later. This furthers my conclusion that we use the manual evac feature on the 4020, especially since members of the FD disappeared down near the mech room when they entered (I happened to be in a room near the front of the building so you can hear everyone going in and out), but they may hit a pull station, idk.

Even though our May drill will likely take place after I have graduated (commencement is May 19th), I’m gonna try and ask the admins if I can come in after the fact and help in conducting a fire drill.
this is why they always skip school every monday
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

You mean the seniors at your high school?
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

my dads work has lockdown and tornado drills too
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Does he work in a school?
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 pm
Does he work in a school?
no
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Well some offices do have safety drills so that would be why possibly.
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:15 pm
Well some offices do have safety drills so that would be why possibly.
i had a fire drill today
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: firefreak57

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:22 pm
If you are able to, see if you can go around the school and catch the different pitches of the alarms.
I’ll try.
I also confirmed that we do in fact use the manual evacuation feature. An elementary school in the district that is being demolished in June (built 1921) has a 4005 System with same alarms we have at the HS and starting bid on the entire FA system plus panels and NAC Extender is $1.00. Best part is I get to take it out myself so I can make sure nothing gets damaged. So with that school using manual evac, chances are we do the same with our 4020.

Also I will try my best with that. My parents are moving to south of the Xenia area this summer (my dad got a new job and is a company exec which necessitates us moving) so I’m going to have WAY less space for my alarms in the new house that I have now. I’m talking half of our unfinished basement now compared to our new house down there which only has a small 10x5 room or something underneath the stairwell in the finished basement there for my alarm stuff. So if I get that 4005 and decide to put it on the board then I’ll have to take the 4004 down and put the 4005 up in its place.

I was also thinking about making a demo system with the 4005 and NAC Extender featuring only original alarms from that particular school whose system I will be taking. Half of the system will go to my friend who goes to Junior High but is interested in alarms too and happens to live 5 mins away from where I do now.

Oh and if I forgot to mention I am going to Youngstown State so the move won’t affect me much since I’ll still be in Northeast Ohio most of the time anyways haha. That’s an hour east of where I live now.
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

it was sunny and pleasant outside in the morning and then a tornado came in the afternoon there were hail and thunderstorms everywhere and my phone just got a tornado warning and a flash flood warning
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

we had a lockdown drill yesterday and a tornado drill today
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I am really interested in knowing what school that you go to that has all of these drills so close together.