Fire, Inclement Weather, Lockdown, and Other Disaster Prevention Drills for the 2018-2019 School Year

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
simplexspectralert
New Participant
New Participant

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 pm

we had an active shooter drill yesterday, an alice drill on wednesday and we had a bus evac drill last monday
simplexspectralert
New Participant
New Participant

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm

simplexspectralert wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 pm
we had an active shooter drill yesterday, an alice drill on wednesday and we had a bus evac drill last monday
we also had a reunification drill last thursday
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:10 am

What are Alice and Reunification drills?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:04 am

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:10 am
What are Alice and Reunification drills?
I believe ALICE stands for something refering to emergency procedures.
draw
Retired STR-SG

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 am

It got me curious too, so I looked it up.
- - -
ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) Training instructor led classes provide preparation and a plan for individuals and organizations on how to more proactively handle the threat of an aggressive intruder or active shooter event.
- - -
https://www.alicetraining.com/
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm

So it is basically a lock down drill then. OK. That is good to know.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm
So it is basically a lock down drill then. OK. That is good to know.
ALICE actually throws the idea of lockdown out the window. It's interesting to read up on, and I've helped organize and run several training sessions with campus public safety the past two years - it advocates a much more active response to the situation, rather than huddling in a room which has proven to be ineffective.
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:48 pm

The only type of drills I had in my school life were fire drills, evacuation drills and lockdown drills. The latter ONLY in high school and ONLY because of Virginia Tech. Before that they didn't do ANY other drills at all. It was also hard to decipher the difference between an evacuation and a fire drill. The only difference was that the secretary came over the PA and said "evacuate" three time and we went FARTHER than where we would in a normal fire drill.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Not really sure if this is counted as a drill or really anything, but my school had this safety awareness day where the goal was to explain lockdown procedures to every single class.

I knew this earlier but it gives more conclusion that the blue Wheelock strobes flash during school lockdowns. One of my teachers explained to the class that if you’re outside of school or approaching via bus or car, and the strobes (she called them lights but whatever) are flashing, you have the right to leave campus to avoid any danger. I’m not sure if they have the power to call the police like the BluePoint alarms but it might, like how the fire alarm alerts the fire dept.

Also big note to some people that they did NOT set off the lockdown strobes at any part of the day today, although it woud have been pretty cool as they are the only colored strobe alarms ive seen in a building (minus a school I drove by far from my house that had those BluePoint alarms in relatively exact same places outside as my school’s lockdown strobes)
draw
Chase Reinhardt
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Firealarm237
Instagram: albertafirealarms

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:33 pm

We had a lockdown late September that I knew beforehand. The police came about 15 minutes before the lockdown, and we had to cover our windows with a poster.

The cool thing is that when they replaced the lockdown system and PA system in April, the new lockdown system is activated by a blue STI push-station labeled LOCKDOWN, and when that is pressed, the outdoor class-change bells (Edwards 876-N5 Adaptahorns) sound continuously, blue strobe lights outside, in the construction/welding workshop and the little classroom beside it (the speaker in that little classroom is not working), the gymnasium, the music/band room, and the library flash (they are very blinding), and a message on the PA says "Lockdown, lockdown, lockdown" twice every 30 seconds. I knew it would happen when the horns outside (the classroom I was in had an open window) started blaring. It went on for a whopping 25 minutes, even after the lockdown was over.
simplexspectralert
New Participant
New Participant

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 am

we had a fire drill on monday and a lockdown drill yesterday

plus our school has speaker strobes, noaa weather radios, one button lockdown, metal detectors, panic buttons and weather alarms in every classroom
simplexspectralert
New Participant
New Participant

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

we had a reverse evacuation yesterday
simplexspectralert
New Participant
New Participant

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

we had a reverse evacuation yesterday
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 am

Is that when you have to stay in the classroom instead of evacuating?
firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: firefreak57

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:22 am

idontwannaknow wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:34 pm
Not really sure if this is counted as a drill or really anything, but my school had this safety awareness day where the goal was to explain lockdown procedures to every single class.

I knew this earlier but it gives more conclusion that the blue Wheelock strobes flash during school lockdowns. One of my teachers explained to the class that if you’re outside of school or approaching via bus or car, and the strobes (she called them lights but whatever) are flashing, you have the right to leave campus to avoid any danger. I’m not sure if they have the power to call the police like the BluePoint alarms but it might, like how the fire alarm alerts the fire dept.

Also big note to some people that they did NOT set off the lockdown strobes at any part of the day today, although it woud have been pretty cool as they are the only colored strobe alarms ive seen in a building (minus a school I drove by far from my house that had those BluePoint alarms in relatively exact same places outside as my school’s lockdown strobes)
Are you ever gonna post any pictures of those? In my area it’s rare for any school to have a lockdown/MNS system anyways except if you’re at the airport or something. Most places in my area they just go on the PA and give us instructions. Most of the schools in my area are older but that applies to the newer schools I’ve been to as well. I’m a little curious to see what they look like.
The official account of firefreak57! Class of 2019.
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel