New System Sensor addressable smoke and heat detectors

System Sensor has quietly released a new line of addressable smoke and heat detectors. Known as the Select Series, the new detectors are now designed to meet UL 268 7th edition requirements, as well as featuring a new look. The new detectors are available in photoelectric smoke, photoelectric smoke with remote test capability, photoelectric smoke with 135° fixed heat, 135° fixed heat, 135° fixed/rate of rise heat and 190° fixed heat versions. Notably, the new series does not include an Acclimate version.

With the release of this new series of addressable detectors, it is likely that the old series of addressable detectors will be discontinued soon. Below is a list of the replacements for each model number:

OLD – NEW
2251B – 2351B
2251BR – 2351BR
2251TB – 2351TB
5251B – 5351B
5251RB – 5351RB
5251H – 5351H

https://systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/SelectSeries_AddressableDetection_SPDS899.pdf
https://systemsensor.com/en-us/Pages/Spot.aspx

1 Like

Yes, lots of changes in the pipeline for UL 268 7th edition. Honeywell is the first I’ve seen to put out new compliant smoke detectors, but other major players can’t be too far behind.

The new UL will effectively end every current smoke detector out there.

We’ll see lots of new models in the next year or two, and anything else will no longer be manufactured… lots of fire alarm upgrades in the near future.

[quote=chris+s post_id=81206 time=1533230426 user_id=3064]

The new UL will effectively end every current smoke detector out there.

We’ll see lots of new models in the next year or two, and anything else will no longer be manufactured… lots of fire alarm upgrades in the near future.

[/quote]

What is that new UL rule requiring? I work with ULC stuff so usually we don’t get changes in codes until after the U.S. has. I’ve noticed it’s been harder to find conventional smoke detectors that are one piece. We were ordering the Edwards ESLs when they stopped them, now we use the System Sensor i3s.

[quote=EdwardsFan post_id=81624 time=1536874190 user_id=85]

What is that new UL rule requiring? I work with ULC stuff so usually we don’t get changes in codes until after the U.S. has. I’ve noticed it’s been harder to find conventional smoke detectors that are one piece. We were ordering the Edwards ESLs when they stopped them, now we use the System Sensor i3s.

[/quote]

faster detection with less false alarms. it’s been a struggle for manufacturers to meet, lots of r&d but the big ones are starting to pull through.

the basic idea is burnt popcorn shouldn’t set a smoke off. at the same time, they found when the current regulations were put into place, construction used a lot less synthetics so fires behaved differently, now fires move faster, burn hotter, etc so there was a need to update.

I wonder if System Sensor will release new conventional smoke detectors or if those will just be discontinued.

[quote=MayerFire post_id=81651 time=1537037900 user_id=3566]

I wonder if System Sensor will release new conventional smoke detectors or if those will just be discontinued.

[/quote]

They probably will. Honeywell’s own security panels (ADEMCO Vista, etc.) and many others support, in some cases exclusively, the System Sensor i3 detectors. Also, most conventional fire alarm panels, save Siemens and maybe Bosch-Radionics, support and are UL-Listed to work with them too. Discontinuing their conventional detectors would mean a huge market loss.

[quote=cerbpyro post_id=81667 time=1537198283 user_id=3654] Also, most conventional fire alarm panels, save Siemens and [i]maybe[/i] Bosch-Radionics, support and are UL-Listed to work with them too. [/quote]

I have seen at least one Bosch-Radionics system with i3 smoke detectors (they could have been on addressable monitor modules, but I doubt it).