Outdoor signals

Why do the outdoor signals look like indoor signals except for the fact that they have a backbox? I could easily buy a regular signal as well as a weatherproof backbox to install.

[quote=thegeet post_id=81231 time=1533398721 user_id=3758]

Why do the outdoor signals look like indoor signals except for the fact that they have a backbox? I could easily buy a regular signal as well as a weatherproof backbox to install.

[/quote]

There are internal design differences.

[quote=randomperson post_id=81232 time=1533398828 user_id=3878] [quote=thegeet post_id=81231 time=1533398721 user_id=3758]

[/quote]

There are internal design differences.

[/quote]

Other than that of the strobe?

The inside of the device is usually sealed with rubber gaskets and/or liquid sealant around any holes. The horn grille is sealed, the strobe body is sealed, and the circuitry on the back is usually epoxied in or sealed. There are IP ratings for water resistance and dust resistance.

Though I suppose if you look hard enough, you can find a weatherproof version of any device. I didn’t know that the 9219s had a weatherproof version until someone said that their school pool had them.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=81309 time=1533962744 user_id=18]

Though I suppose if you look hard enough, you can find a weatherproof version of any device. I didn’t know that the 9219s had a weatherproof version until someone said that their school pool had them.

[/quote]

There are no weatherproof versions of many NA lines, specially newer ones like the EST Genesis, Wheelock Exceder and System Sensor L-Series, the old lines are kept in production for such purposes (Integrity, AS/AH/RSS and SpectrAlert Advance respectively).

[quote=MayerFire post_id=81310 time=1533972223 user_id=3566]

There are no weatherproof versions of many NA lines, specially newer ones like the EST Genesis

[/quote]

The Genesis has a weatherproof version. It’s called the “WG4” series.

Yeah I know that. I just meant if you looked hard enough you could find what alarms would be weatherproof so they can be used in outdoor settings. I mean I never even THOUGHT that 9219s could be used outdoors.

The weatherproof L-Series will come soon.

Oh I have no doubt as it would be stupid if they didn’t introduce a weatherproof model.

[quote=randomperson post_id=81311 time=1533985842 user_id=3878] [quote=MayerFire post_id=81310 time=1533972223 user_id=3566]

There are no weatherproof versions of many NA lines, specially newer ones like the EST Genesis

[/quote]

[/quote]

It’s newer than the rest of the line, so Integrities were used when weatherproof was required for the first ~10 years. I haven’t seen any Integrities in new installations, though.

The only NAs I can think of that look significantly different in the weatherproof version are the TrueAlert (different grille) and Genesis (entirely different, much-larger design).

[quote=cl94 post_id=81420 time=1534899478 user_id=3115] [quote=randomperson post_id=81311 time=1533985842 user_id=3878] [quote=MayerFire post_id=81310 time=1533972223 user_id=3566]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It’s newer than the rest of the line, so Integrities were used when weatherproof was required for the first ~10 years. I haven’t seen any Integrities in new installations, though.

The only NAs I can think of that look significantly different in the weatherproof version are the TrueAlert (different grille) and Genesis (entirely different, much-larger design).

[/quote]

Also the SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes (the weatherproof version has 4 visible screws).

But other than that one wouldn’t be able to tell since they look the same.