Trying to smoke test an old First Alert SA76RS

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi guys as most of you know last October I acquired an old First Alert SA76RS smoke detector serial number 415115 meaning it has to be an earlier model going back to 1977. I am able to successfully set it off by pushing the button and I have done with both cover on and off and I love the high pitched squeal now which was one of my childhood fears. I want to set it off with a smoke test and I have tried several times using candle smoke but it won't sound. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I know a push button test just usually tests the circuit board. Maybe the detector is too old to smoke test? Any advice please let me know because I want to try and smoke test it soon in a video. Either way it is a cool smoke detector and thanks to bmccorkle who is not a collector and I am I finally have this detector. Take care for now.

Jan