Fire Alarm Sound Samples Needed!

Hey everyone!

I am working on a science fair on what fire alarm sounds work best to evacuate building occupants. In order for me to answer my question, I need help collecting fire alarm sound samples.
The following sounds are needed (specific brand names are not required unless given below):
[b]
[list]

• [*]A high pitched mechanical horn (around 400 Hz or greater), i.e. 7002t, simplex 2901-9806, vibratone 450d
  • [*]60 hz fire horn
  • [*]Single stroke mechanical bell
  • [*]Vibrating mechanical bell
  • [*]Simplex Truealert or Truealert ES or a similar sounding horn
  • [/list][/b]

Some notes for the sounds:
    [list]

• [*]Sounds should be loud and clear; not distorted.
  • [*]Excessive background noise should not be heard.
  • [*]Each device sample should have been used or approved for a fire alarm system.
  • [*]Each sound sample should at least be coded in temporal 3, continuous, and march time (120 BPM) for at 40 seconds (no less0. A panel or coding device is recommended. Separate sound files for each fire alarm code. DO NOT submit one round of code and expect me to piece it all together.
  • [*]The following must also include a recording of 90 BPM March Time: [i]60 hz fire horn, single stroke mechanical bell, mechanical horn[/i]. Hand coding is acceptable but inconsistencies with beat/pattern are to be minimized. A coding device is recommended.
  • [*]The following must also include a recording of cadence march time (4-4-4-4): [i]60 Hz fire horn, single stroke mechanical bell.[/i] Hand coding is also acceptable but inconsistencies in pattern are to be minimized. See @OldSchoolFireAlarm's videos on youtube as a reference if you don't know how to code cadence march time.
  • [/list]

Post your files here. Make sure that they are accessible.

Thank you so much! Your contribution to this science fair project will help to make it a great success to answering my question. :slight_smile:

[quote=DownsLife+Safety post_id=81863 time=1538359980 user_id=4181]

[b]
    [list]

• [/list][/b]

[/quote]

snip

[list]

• [*]Each device sample should have been used or approved for a fire alarm system.
  • [*]Each sound sample should at least be coded in temporal 3, continuous, and march time (120 BPM) for at 40 seconds (no less0. A panel or coding device is recommended. Separate sound files for each fire alarm code. DO NOT submit one round of code and expect me to piece it all together.
  • [*]The following must also include a recording of 90 BPM March Time: [i]60 hz fire horn, single stroke mechanical bell, mechanical horn[/i]. Hand coding is acceptable but inconsistencies with beat/pattern are to be minimized. A coding device is recommended.
  • [*]The following must also include a recording of cadence march time (4-4-4-4): [i]60 Hz fire horn, single stroke mechanical bell.[/i] Hand coding is also acceptable but inconsistencies in pattern are to be minimized. See @OldSchoolFireAlarm's videos on youtube as a reference if you don't know how to code cadence march time.
  • [/list]

Thank you so much! Your contribution to this science fair project will help to make it a great success to answering my question. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

How am I supposed to post audio files here? At the time of posting this, I don’t have an account with an audio sharing website (such as SoundCloud). Would Google Drive work? Or even YouTube (as an unlisted video)?

I do have recordings of my Simplex TrueAlert horn (4901-9820) in continuous and code 3, the latter made possible via the sync module. I do have a recording of it in “March Time” (via the sync module), but it’s not 120bpm march time (it’s 60bpm; and I don’t have a panel). Unfortunately, the recording I have of the alarm in continuous falls about 5-6 seconds shy of the 40 second requirement, but not the code-3 recording. Fortunately, unlike some SmartSync horn/strobes, the horn-only TrueAlert doesn’t do that “double-buzz” every so often (there’s a slight inconsistency, but I’ve only heard it occur once). There is some background noise (buzzing from the freezer in the “den” of my relative’s house), but it’s more on the quiet side, ditto for the sync module.

Also, “around 400Hz or greater”? I generated a 400Hz tone with Audacity, and it sounded more like this, which, to me, is very high-pitched for a DC electromechanical horn (that video was from 2012, the pitch of that horn has gotten lower nowadays). The frequency range for DC mechanical horns usually range from about 200Hz (4903-9219, low-pitched 2901-9833, etc.) to about 400Hz (high-pitched 2901-9806) (again, I tested this using Audacity’s tone generator).

[list]

• [*]A high pitched mechanical horn (around 400 Hz or greater), i.e. 7002t, simplex 2901-9806, vibratone 450d
  • [/list]

[/quote]

If you’re looking for some sound samples of alarms that are in continuous, feel free to check out some of the device test videos on my channel. I can’t guarantee that all the things that you are looking for are there, the best quality, or that they are 40 seconds long, but it’s a good place to start. For higher quality recordings, your best bet would be to check out some of the videos from January 2014 or later, those are my better ones, and filmed with a much better recording device too (the first one I did like this was my Faraday/FOS 5511).

Aside from a few devices being coded in code 3 with my MDL, I unfortunately don’t have a panel that can code in march time or 4-4-4-4, so you won’t find anything like that there.

Here’s a playlist of my device test videos. I have a few other “supplemental” videos scattered on my channel (ex: doing different codings, etc):

I apologize if I can’t offer much in terms of devices being coded, highest quality possible, etc. However, I’m hoping what I have is a start for your project.

[quote=firealarmveteran15 post_id=81883 time=1538486326 user_id=854] [quote=DownsLife+Safety post_id=81863 time=1538359980 user_id=4181]

[b]
    [list]

• [/list][/b]

[/quote]

snip

[list]

• [/list]

[/quote]

How am I supposed to post audio files here? At the time of posting this, I don’t have an account with an audio sharing website (such as SoundCloud). Would Google Drive work? Or even YouTube (as an unlisted video)?

I do have recordings of my Simplex TrueAlert horn (4901-9820) in continuous and code 3, the latter made possible via the sync module. I do have a recording of it in “March Time” (via the sync module), but it’s not 120bpm march time (it’s 60bpm; and I don’t have a panel). Unfortunately, the recording I have of the alarm in continuous falls about 5-6 seconds shy of the 40 second requirement, but not the code-3 recording. Fortunately, unlike some SmartSync horn/strobes, the horn-only TrueAlert doesn’t do that “double-buzz” every so often (there’s a slight inconsistency, but I’ve only heard it occur once). There is some background noise (buzzing from the freezer in the “den” of my relative’s house), but it’s more on the quiet side, ditto for the sync module.

Also, “around 400Hz or greater”? I generated a 400Hz tone with Audacity, and it sounded more like this, which, to me, is very high-pitched for a DC electromechanical horn (that video was from 2012, the pitch of that horn has gotten lower nowadays). The frequency range for DC mechanical horns usually range from about 200Hz (4903-9219, low-pitched 2901-9833, etc.) to about 400Hz (high-pitched 2901-9806) (again, I tested this using Audacity’s tone generator).

[/quote]

Google Drive and a YouTube unlisted link should work.

Your continuous file should suffice. I can modify it if I find it to be too short. I might be able to modify the march time coding too if it sounds realistic enough. You will be fine with your type or background noise

And you’re right @firealarmveteran15 - my bad for not realizing it. Anything between the 200 Hz and 400 Hz range should work.

@NewEnglandElevators thank you so much too!

PM sent.

If you need a single stroke bell take audio from one of my vids on Mircomfan, I’ve got tons of vids of old signals/single stroke bells.

Hey everyone!

I am working on a science fair on what fire alarm sounds work best to evacuate building occupants. In order for me to answer my question, I need help collecting fire alarm sound samples.
    The following sounds are needed (specific brand names are not required unless given below):
    [b]
    [list]

• [*]60 hz fire horn
  • [*]Vibrating mechanical bell
  • [/list][/b]

[list]

• [/list]

[/quote]

You can look at Cooper Wheelock’s website for sound samples about anywhere from 5-10 seconds for their horns.

Hey guys!
    Thank you so much for your support. I’ve completed most of my experimentation for now so I’ve got what I needed from you guys.

Thanks again!

(mod please close this topic… I can’t seem to get it to report correctly)

i tried 5 or multiple for the low to high eletromechanical combo frequencies if they are deaf or have ears clogged if they are sick though like having symptoms which needs to be treated though instead of add or removing.