Testing & Programming

#1-What is the electricians, when installing fire alarm system, responsibility/involvement regarding the programming of the devices/system? I know the fire alarm vendor tech is involved but I believe the installer also has to help/assist with this?

#2- What’s done during the pre-test( not the inspector/FD test). Just test a few devices, circuits? Does the pre-test involve the techs? Is there a structured protocol to system testing?

Thanks

It depends. Normally the electrician pulls the wire, mounts the devices and conducts the pretest following programming. The programmer confirms their program is proper.

A full pretest includes testing 100% of the devices as per NFPA 72—NO MAGNETS! carbon monoxide devices are tested using canned CO. Smokes are tested using canned smoke. ROR heats are tested with a heat gun (solo tester). Fixed heats are shorted out. Sprinkler devices are exercised by the sprinkler contractor. Other suppression (clean agent/kitchen etc) tested by their respective trade.

The test should be performed on battery only. All AV’s should be energized, synchronized with appropriate candela ratings/volume. If applicable, confirm receipt of signal at central station along with restoral.

That’s how I test a parts & smarts job for an EC. Third party UL testing and testing of modifications made to one my systems by an outside contractor are a different animal all together.