What are some things that the General Public misconceives about Fire Alarms that drive you crazy?

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm

My science teacher thought that the ceiling mount genesis speaker/strobe was a smoke detector. I wasn't super surprised at that one though - most science rooms are supposed to have smoke detectors, and the building designers coincidentally decided to mount a notification appliance to the ceiling.
I had to correct her on that but she wasn't super sure when I told her. Not sure why the room didn't have a smoke detector in the first place either.

I think another one could be that opening a stopper triggers the fire alarm.
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to live safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!

Also a noob at fire alarm systems. :P
Alexis_T
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 am

'nother one 'cause why not?

Y'see those mini-horns they put in hotel rooms? People sometimes mistake these for security cameras and put tape over them, being persuaded that it's a security camera or a microphone.

I've never seen this in person. but for sure I recall someone talked about this on the forums.
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
Simplex 2903-9101
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 am

nightfly287 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am
Simplex 2903-9101 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 am
Rolling my eyes when a student at my college thought the fire alarm (2901-9838's in continuous) was someone's phone vibrating. I might be only 23, but I was definitely thinking "Kids these days..."
That would have to be a pretty big phone to make such a large noise. I really hope he was being sarcastic.
To be fair, the carpets make them seem a lot quieter, but come on, you should still know what that noise means.
Did you hear about the film director who collected fire alarms?
No Integrity and dozens of unwanted Advances.
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Alexis_T wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 am
'nother one 'cause why not?

Y'see those mini-horns they put in hotel rooms? People sometimes mistake these for security cameras and put tape over them, being persuaded that it's a security camera or a microphone.

I've never seen this in person. but for sure I recall someone talked about this on the forums.
Actually, people have found actual security cameras hiding beneath the grill of some fire alarm systems. It's one of those really rare sights but it happens.
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to live safer lives
Find my YouTube Channel Here!

Also a noob at fire alarm systems. :P
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 am

I've heard some teachers tell their students that the fire alarm NA in the classroom also functions as a security camera to scare them.
MayerFire
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Simplex 2903-9101 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 am
To be fair, the carpets make them seem a lot quieter, but come on, you should still know what that noise means.
Well, if someone has grown up hearing only electronic horns in Temporal 3, and the mechanical horn is relatively quiet (due to the environment, distance from the horn, the horn itself, etc), I could see that confusion happening. Even more so if the system has no strobes, and the person has only seen fire alarm systems with strobes.
DownsLife+Safety wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 pm
Actually, people have found actual security cameras hiding beneath the grill of some fire alarm systems. It's one of those really rare sights but it happens.
I once found a spy camera for sale online which was molded exactly like a SpectrAlert Advance, the only difference being that it had the camera lens on the center of the strobe reflector, instead of the xenon flash tube.
Retired STR-SG

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Those fake A/V spy devices are available at various places. Here is one.
https://spyassociates.com/fire-alarm-st ... e-viewing/
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Another common one: Thinking that a remote strobe makes noise.
Remember: Fire alarms are serious and should not be ignored.
Instagram - YouTube
Want to say hello? everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 pm

THAT one is the reason why I wouldn't go to the bathroom in elementary school.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
NJMoo3652
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: NJMoo3652

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 am

Not sure if anyone’s said this already but Stoppers. There are endless videos of people lifting the Stoppers with sirens thinking they set off the fire alarm but this also poses a safety hazard if the alarm actually needs to be pulled and people just don’t know better
Official Account of NJMoo3652
Operator of FireSafetySales eBay Store
Feel free to PM or email me with any questions!
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 pm

You guys remember the age-old lie that pulling the fire alarm sprays ink on your hands to tell who pulled it or not to scare grade-school students?
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:41 am

We had a different variation: they put ink on the back of the pull station to KNOW who pulls it since it turns blue after a while.

I believed based on looking into a Simplex 2099-9795 one time and seeing stuff in the back, which I now realize was just dust (Apparently that pull station hadn't been pulled) and one time looking at one and SWEARING it was dripping ink but I'm not sure what it was.

Stopped believing it in the 5th grade when a self-contained student pulled the alarm and we happened to go by the activated station as our exit route. That was also when I realized that the T-Bars pull OUT instead of DOWN.

This leads me to another story. That year was when the OT and PT teachers were in a multipurpose room (which held two enrichment teachers, the inclusion teacher for grades 5 and 6, the OT and PT teacher and the band teacher) with the OT teacher who I saw saying that something weird happened in there. The majority of my elementary school had Simplex 4903-9219 horn/strobes but that room had a Wheelock AS-2415 horn/strobe that was set to code-3 while everything else was set to continuous. She thought that the student tried to push the pull station back in which was why it stopped and started.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
MayerFire
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:02 am

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:41 am
We had a different variation: they put ink on the back of the pull station to KNOW who pulls it since it turns blue after a while.
Said product does exists, and it might have indeed been used in your school: http://www.american-time.com/products-b ... ire-alarms
HenBasket
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: HenBasket

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Retired STR-SG wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:52 pm
Those fake A/V spy devices are available at various places. Here is one.
https://spyassociates.com/fire-alarm-st ... e-viewing/
Aren’t those like illegal?
Roses are red, heavy steel beam
I need a rhyme to finish this meme
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Then maybe the pull stations did have tamper dye on them but I remember the one outside the kindergarten classrooms was the only one that looked like it was leaking and that was the only one I remember. Of course, by the time I started to take more notice of fire alarms, we had a new principal so maybe he didn't use the dye and there was dye on other pull stations but I didn't see it.