What are some things that the General Public misconceives about Fire Alarms that drive you crazy?

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
HappyJigg
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: HappyJigg

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 pm

"oh my god the pull station smell smoke so the fire sprinnkles spray water". In the first spongebob movie the all of the fire sprinklers in shell city activated because smoke touched one of them. People overestimate the sensitivity and false alarm proneness of fire alarm systems.

Spongebob and Patrick would have burned to death if they existed in real life.
Have any questions or concerns about Silent Knight panels? Ask me! I own THREE of them!
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:30 am

Yeah but that was a children's movie and I doubt having the protagonists, despite together have a combined IQ someone in the low 200s burn alive wouldn't be good for movie sales.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
EdwardsFan
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm
Then maybe the pull stations did have tamper dye on them but I remember the one outside the kindergarten classrooms was the only one that looked like it was leaking and that was the only one I remember. Of course, by the time I started to take more notice of fire alarms, we had a new principal so maybe he didn't use the dye and there was dye on other pull stations but I didn't see it.
An apartment company we work for has them all over their pull stations, and the dye is very hard to get off.

Also I've always hated when people will point to the heat detector and tell me it's beeping. I get many service calls for this, the one time this lady was very persistent the beeping noise was coming from her heat detector. I heard the beeps and found out it was her water heater :roll:
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 am

OHHHHHHHH THIS IS A GOOD ONE I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE FOR NOT TELLING THIS STORY EARLIER. So when we were practicing our emergency drills on the third day of school, our history teacher pointed to the new Siemens ALERT speaker/strobe on the ceiling, but she completely confused those with the lockdown strobes found outside, and in areas IE the gyms/commons because they are both white. Even though the alarm clearly had a clear strobe (ha), she said that it flashed BLUE like those other ones. Even some other students were confused with that assumption.

It never went off the whole time lol

Thankfully later in the year where the school decided to get us to understand where to go for a lockdown, or print media teacher (shes in a lot of technology based “jobs” so she understands this stuff) said that the blue strobes are for when the school goes on lockdown so any buses that come can see them and as such will take the students elsewhere for safety. The speaker/strobes would let the occupants know there is a lockdown and would list off several places to go (pre-recorded by school I’m guessing) and it would say to not go outdoors.

NOTE: I did not actually hear the message thats just what the teacher told us:
draw
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Well I'm sure that eventually you will get to hear the message.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.