fire alarm at a Walmart playing music.

The guy in this video thinks it is stupid that the fire alarm plays music.

Well if they are speakers then they obviously can be set up to play music. The music just cuts off when the alarm gets activated.

Newer Walmarts tend to have speaker/strobes that are also used for PA announcements and music. A newer Walmart store in my area is like this. The speaker/strobes in the main store area are ceiling-mount ones that resemble ordinary PA speakers and the ones in the restrooms are red wall-mount speaker/strobes.

I have never seen a Walmart with speaker/strobes, let alone any other large stores

I have never seen a Wal-Mart that has music playing out of its fire alarm speakers but maybe I didn’t notice.

The Wal-Mart closest to me has ceiling-mount L-series horn/strobes and strobes, which just recently replaced ceiling-mount Classics during the remodel which in turn replaced wall-mount Wheelock MTs a decade and some years ago.

We aren’t allowed to play music through fire alarm speakers in Canada by code, so all Walmarts here have separate PA & Fire Alarm systems.

Personally, I think that we should have that same code and we shouldn’t be able to play music through the speakers.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=82814 time=1546283921 user_id=18]

Personally, I think that we should have that same code and we shouldn’t be able to play music through the speakers.

[/quote]

I agree, the US is usually more advanced too and ahead of us when it comes to fire alarms and codes. I never understood why they allow this one, I think we don’t do it because it would be too confusing for people & to extend the speakers life.

[quote=EdwardsFan post_id=82820 time=1546392623 user_id=85] [quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=82814 time=1546283921 user_id=18]

[/quote]

I agree, the US is usually more advanced too and ahead of us when it comes to fire alarms and codes. I never understood why they allow this one, I think we don’t do it because it would be too confusing for people & to extend the speakers life.

[/quote]

And besides fire alarm speakers don’t give as good quality sound for music as ordinary speakers.

[quote=Housedays post_id=82830 time=1546460097 user_id=2894]

And besides fire alarm speakers don’t give as good quality sound for music as ordinary speakers.

[/quote]

Well, they can if you use the high fidelity versions.

I doubt they would want to upgrade to those speakers just to play music. Maybe so that people can hear the alarm clearer and get the message to evacuate but not for music.

It does seem strange to hear music and PA announcements coming out of the red fire alarm speaker/strobe on the wall in the restroom at one of the local Walmarts. It seems not as strange hearing it coming out of the ceiling-mount speaker/strobes in the store that resemble ordinary PA speakers.