Alarms in Korea

New to this forum but not this community, messed around with alarms when I was in middle school and moving to Korea more or less reignited my interest.

FA systems in Asia are largely similar in terms of functionality to the US, with the exception of how the alarms are installed. Instead of having a pull station with a strobe above it, alarms are installed in breaker boxes with the call point on the door and the bell inside, sometimes as part of the fire hydrant cabinet itself. The boxes also have a red indicator lamp that stays on to allow for easy location.
The manual call points have additional features compared to the US, mainly a telephone jack and a response LED that both share a common ground with the IDU circuit.
Addressable systems use a I/O junction box module inside of the hydrant cabinet that connects to the MCP and bell instead of the module being on the MCP itself. The addressable MCP has separate grounds for telephone usage and the response LED.
The usage of strobes is rare, usually you’ll see a remote strobe mounted above or directly on the hydrant cabinet. Some newer buildings have exit sign/speaker/strobe combos to allow for easy location of an exit as well as infrared cameras that look for the heat signature of a fire.

Is the red light in Korea solely and visual fire alarm box indicator light, or does it also flash when a fire condition is reported? I know that Taiwan has their lights flash if a fire alarm goes off to signal occupants to evacuate.

Cool systems! Do you have any media on smoke alarms? Here’s a video on my Taiwanese smoke alarm and Im’ curious if your smoke alarms have any similarities. [YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9xcByFy4-s[/YouTube]

1 Like

Nah, doesn’t flash. There’s also a 2nd light that turns on when the hydrant pump starts. I believe the systems in newer buildings are interlocked with voice evac systems that silence the bell when the message is played. There also appears to be separate call points and sirens for the sprinkler system if the building has one.

Alarms can be purchased online with ease, I’ve got some call points and strobes laying around if anyones interested

Wow. I didn’t know that Siemens also made fire alarms that were used in Korea! Nice job on getting that!