Fire Alarm Panel/Bells

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
iiDankMemer57
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:15 pm

There was a strange panel I discovered in my closet. I have attached images below. If anybody has any information regarding exactly what this system is, please drop a reply. I know it is a Fire-Lite because it is clearly stated on the front, however, if anybody has any additional details they can provide, it would be a great help. Thanks!
Attachments
VintagePanel.jpg
VintagePanel.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 665 times
VintageBellHand.jpg
VintageBell
VintageBellHand.jpg (7.65 KiB) Viewed 666 times
LargeHallwayBell.jpg
HallwayBell
LargeHallwayBell.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 666 times
User avatar
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:35 am
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636
Location: Pawtucket, RI
Contact:

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Was this in the closet of your HOUSE?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
iiDankMemer57
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:44 pm

This was in fact in the closet of my house, yes.
MayerFire
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:55 am

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Did your house use to be a commercial building?
User avatar
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 pm

what the actual....

Yea the closest I got is a sprinkler bell for whenever sprinklers go off in my house... this is a whole ‘nother lever.

Uhh, free collection I guess?? Doorbell?
lgbt rights!
iiDankMemer57
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:24 pm

I also want to clarify that my house was never a commercial building. To my knowledge, this system was installed by the builders. Not sure if that is definite though because I was certainly not alive at the time of this houses' construction.
User avatar
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:58 am

I just noticed that the logo of the panel looks like that Fire Lite triangular light plate.

Are there any more bells in your house/anything that resembles a pull or smoke?
lgbt rights!
iiDankMemer57
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Nothing that resembles a pull switch or any smoke detector, what would they look like, i'm not very familiar with vintage alarms.
Synther
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:20 am
YouTube Username: Tristan Gillett

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:42 pm

The second picture that you titled "vintage bell" is actually a head detector. Are there any other devices in your house? Does the system still work?
User avatar
Alexis_T
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Northern France (Gouvieux, Department of Oise HdF)

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am

There was a time where those residential FA systems were common... Now to find parts that for these oldies it's a red herring chase.

I don't know much about these, but these kind of systems mostly never had pull stations. Most had heat detectors (such as the one you erroneously called a vintage bell in your second picture. It's a Chemtronics Heat detector.)
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
iiDankMemer57
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:24 pm

There are lots of these heat detectors around the house, unfortunately however, the panel is displaying no voltage on the front meter so to my beliefs, it is non-functional.
User avatar
El Chupacabra
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Very cool find! Not too many of these systems appear to have survived (and they probably weren’t very common when they were new), so it’s quite special to see one that remains intact. I’ve seen a similar Fire-Lite panel in a past eBay auction (pictured below).

Image
Alexis_T wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am
There was a time where those residential FA systems were common... Now to find parts that for these oldies it's a red herring chase.

I don't know much about these, but these kind of systems mostly never had pull stations. Most had heat detectors (such as the one you erroneously called a vintage bell in your second picture. It's a Chemtronics Heat detector.)
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Prior to the popularization of smoke alarms, certain manufacturers offered fire alarm systems that were specifically designed for small residential applications. These systems typically consisted of a very simple control panel, a few heat detectors and a single bell (which, in certain cases, was attached to the panel, as the picture above illustrates). This type of setup is pretty much the 1950s/1960s equivalent of having interconnected smoke alarms in your house.

Judging from what I've seen on eBay, Edwards and Honeywell also offered residential fire alarm systems in the 1950s and 1960s.
User avatar
firedriller
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:09 pm

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:21 am

El Chupacabra wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm
Very cool find! Not too many of these systems appear to have survived (and they probably weren’t very common when they were new), so it’s quite special to see one that remains intact. I’ve seen a similar Fire-Lite panel in a past eBay auction (pictured below).

Image
Alexis_T wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am
There was a time where those residential FA systems were common... Now to find parts that for these oldies it's a red herring chase.

I don't know much about these, but these kind of systems mostly never had pull stations. Most had heat detectors (such as the one you erroneously called a vintage bell in your second picture. It's a Chemtronics Heat detector.)
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Prior to the popularization of smoke alarms, certain manufacturers offered fire alarm systems that were specifically designed for small residential applications. These systems typically consisted of a very simple control panel, a few heat detectors and a single bell (which, in certain cases, was attached to the panel, as the picture above illustrates). This type of setup is pretty much the 1950s/1960s equivalent of having interconnected smoke alarms in your house.

Judging from what I've seen on eBay, Edwards and Honeywell also offered residential fire alarm systems in the 1950s and 1960s.
Before interconnected smoke alarm and home security systems
I think a good old-fashioned fire drill today- Mr Burns
Welcome to hogwarts- alarm panel
iiDankMemer57
New Participant
New Participant
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Anyway you could link me to the source of that image on eBay so I could possibly get some further information about the system?
User avatar
El Chupacabra
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 pm

iiDankMemer57 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm
Anyway you could link me to the source of that image on eBay so I could possibly get some further information about the system?
That listing is unfortunately long gone, having ended about 7 years ago. However, I did a quick search and found three archived eBay auctions featuring similar panels:
Listing 1
Listing 2
Listing 3
Post Reply