Siemens MXL first boards problems

We have a Siemens MXL fire panel in one of are old buildings, every 2- 3 mins it show (example) 1-22, 1-23, 1-24 1-34 device not found or devise error, watching the panel 3 secs later gone alarm stops device detected. 2 mins - 3 mins later same thing over and over again. voltages are correct most of these devices are FP-11’s.

Today was doing the same but 1-14 1-15 1-15 1-32 over and over

has anyone seen this before

State of Florida DOC

Patrick

My first guess is a failing loop controller, just based on the age of the panel. However you may be lucky and find that it is an addressable device or intermittent wiring fault bringing down the loop. You will have to get a decent service company to look at it. It will probably take quite a few hours and return trips to isolate the issue with certainty, so be prepared for that.

You’re probably aware that the MXL is obsolete now. If you were considering an upgrade, now would be the time to do it, since if you are lucky, it will eliminate the problem, or if not, you’ve at least made a much needed upgrade and can rule out the panel as the cause of the problem.

It could be a failure in/of the ALD-2I card, which is the card that allows the I-Series addressable loops to interface with the MXL. I would see about just replacing that card first, and see if it resolves the issue.

If you do decide to replace the panel, the Siemens FireFinder XLS has a set of cards available that allows the FireFinder XLS to interface with all of the existing MXL devices installed on the system. That’s by far the most painless replacement option.