The Effectiveness of Fire Alarm Signals ~ A Science Fair Project

Hi guys!
Remember how I kept asking you all if you had any fire alarm sound samples I could use? Well, that was for science fair, and I’m pleased to announce the results of my science fair project, which experimented the effectiveness of different fire alarm signals.

ABSTRACT
Fire alarm signals are an important component in life safety. They provide adequate response time to allow others to escape a building if a fire occurs. Many fire alarm systems use different sounds and patterns for a variety of reasons including but not only to brand, local codes, the standards of different countries, and when the building was constructed and retrofitted with a fire alarm system. It is thus important to ensure that there is an easily recognized pattern or sound present if a fire alarm is to sound. The hypothesis of the experiment was that the Temporal-3 signal, the United States’ national fire alarm signal, would communicate a fire hazard and be recognized the best.
To test this, a standardized test was conducted to a group of people. The test consisted of different alert sounds a person listened to and answered questions about in a short period of time. Afterwards, each sound was evaluated on a 10-point scale based on how well the participants recognized, percieved, identified, and applied the sound’s to a given situation. It was found that only certain sounds that utilized the Temporal-3 standard were effective while others did not perform as well. Additionally, due to multiple unforeseen variables and errors, an exact sound cannot be declared the most effective signal for fire emergencies in this experiment.

Want more info? Well, you’re going to have to read the paper to find out!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WBTZwPnAil6Q77vq7DWGjshHiQER6SYS?usp=sharing
Were you guys surprised by the results? Do you think that the results will be implemented in to buildings?
Questions are welcome. Enjoy. =]

Edit 2021-10-08: Link corrected since it got destroyed whilst the forums were being migrated over to new platform.

1 Like

It really does look like it came out nicely! Wonderful job!

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=82819 time=1546381122 user_id=18]

It really does look like it came out nicely! Wonderful job!

[/quote]

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it.