Alternatives to System Sensor for Notifier notification

It seems that System Sensor is the standard for notification with Notifier panels. Unfortunately, some decision makers on our project are not happy with the design of those appliances (finding them overly bulky and obtrusive). From the various appliances they’ve seen out there, they most prefer the looks of Edwards Genesis, and some Wheelock.

Would it be sensible to install non-System Sensor (like Wheelock, or others) appliances with a Notifier system? Could we expect the same level of compatibility, availability, and support with non-System Sensor appliances? What are the viable/recommended options? Wheelock, Gentex, AMSECO, others?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Wheelock notification devices are just as if not more common on Notifier systems in my area compared to System Sensor. I’m by no means anywhere near an industry professional, so I’ll let some of the more experienced people tackle compatibility, but looking at the Notifier website it seems most if not all Notifier panels are compatible with Wheelock devices (Cooper/Wheelock is even listed under the ‘notification’ category). As for EST, Gentex, or any other company, I have no idea.

I’ve seen two Notifier systems with Gentex notification appliances (both being hotels under the same brand from different time periods), so it’s probably not too uncommon to find such criteria out in the field.

I have only seen an L-Series in person once at a renovated Dollar General and it didn’t look too bulky and obtrusive to me. But I guess people like different alarms that suit their tastes.

[quote=firealarmveteran15 post_id=83121 time=1550162621 user_id=854]

I’ve seen two Notifier systems with Gentex notification appliances (both being hotels under the same brand from different time periods), so it’s probably not too uncommon to find such criteria out in the field.

[/quote]

A handful of schools in my district use Notifier systems with Gentex NAs.

You could also go diverse and use space age electronics notification appliances.

All of you are completely missing the question. Putting “Non-System Sensor” products would be okay as long as they are just normal Horn/Strobes (Non-Addressable). I’ve used the Genesis series on many Honeywell panels (Fire-Lite, Notifier, etc.) and they work fine. Just make sure you have the correct sync module for whatever manufacturer you use. Older vibratory and mechanical devices are known to destroy these panels so I would stick to the more modern devices (2000’s and up). Edwards and Wheelock work the best on these panels. However, Edwards seems to be the most aesthetically pleasing and low profile.

The Notifier 320, 640, and FireWarden series panels support Wheelock and Gentex in addition to System Sensor appliances. The 3030 does not have built in notification circuits, so it uses a control module to trigger power supplies, in which case you must use the proper power supply that is compatible with the devices you want to use, as was mentioned above (you may or may not need sync modules or a sync wire between power supplies depending upon your requirements). Notifier FCPS power supplies support Gentex, Wheelock, and System Sensor. Honeywell HPFF and Altronix power supplies support the same as well as Faraday and Potter devices. Hopefully this gives you some guidance.

Patrick

The initial question has pretty much been answered (seems Wheelock and Gentex would be the best bets). But just out of curiosity, what types of NA’s are you planning to install? Horns, speakers, or chimes? Wall or ceiling mount?

The Wheelock LED3 series would probably be a good bet if you don’t need many higher candela devices. Wheelock sync is built into Notifier panels.

The EST Genesis series is the lowest profile but aren’t great for non-EST systems because no-one but EST has built-in sync for them. The ceiling ones are also a real pain to install on ceiling grid. You can use sync modules though. If it’s a larger system with signal modules or addressable NAC panels it’s probably not worth it since you will have to run extra wires for sync.

If you’re a Notifier distributor, Honeywell probably incentivizes using System Sensor. I’ve started to come around on their latest devices – they are pretty rugged and easy to mount and the compact L-series are smaller than most of what’s out there. Or go with all ceiling, they are larger but ceiling devices are always more appealing in my book.

I’m assuming they like the low profile/footprint of the Edwards Genesis and Wheelock Exceder LED series. If so, you could try showing them the white compact L-Series devices (P2GWL, HGWL, SGWL), and see if they like those.