Old Simplex System, Need Info

Hey, everyone. Happy Easter!

So here’s what’s going on. There’s a local demolition sale I found that will be taking place in an old Chase bank building. I emailed the building owner asking for pics of the fire alarm system, since I might be interested. He sent me a link to pics of everything for sale, and the pic below is what I found.

Looks to be one of those old 4208 systems, I think. Although I didn’t see pics of the alarms and pull stations, I’ll bet we’ve got a system of 4050-80/4051s and 4251-20s. Could someone verify this as likely to be true?

Also, can someone provide me some more info about this system? Is this something I should go for if I can get it for the right price? Thanks in advance!

IMG_7657 by Ryan Kujawski, on Flickr

That is a 4208. According to the control module it is a 4208AX, which is the AC panel. It probably has series AC horn circuits. I can’t be sure without seeing a picture of the inside. If the price is right and you like historic old panels it looks clean. How much you want it is up to you. I have a little information, but I will have to dig around to find it.

That’s a 4208, known also as the ATS Électronique A320. I’d snatch it up if I were you, these are getting VERY rare.

That fan disconnect switch sure is intriguing… Any idea why it has been put on that particular unit?

The Fan Disconnect could be used to test the system without cycling the air handling units off and on repeatedly.

It also could be used to allow the units to restart to clear smoke out of a duct detector that went into alarm. Then the system could be reset.

I installed some 4208 panels in my early years with Simplex.

Appreciate that information!

I figured it’s a pretty rare, antique system, which is why I’m excited about it.

Wish I had a picture of the inside. I’ll still contact the seller back and see what he wants for it. Maybe I can get a deal.

I found the 4208 service information.

So since the panel is an AC, does that mean they would have 4050s or some other AC horn instead of DC?

Obviously I can’t be 100% sure without seeing the inside of the panel. However, I never saw a panel with the “AX” control module (Operating Power Trouble and Supervisory Power Trouble circuits) that did not use AC horns. The panel in the picture has the “AX” control module. Those panels used an “H” signal module (page 25 in the service instructions) which use low voltage AC horns wired in series.

The 4208 DC panel used the “A” control module with one trouble circuit. Those typically used the “N” signal module (page 16 in the service instructions) to operate parallel 24 volt DC horns. The 4208A also had battery backup. Typically there was a set of wet cell NiCad batteries in a separate battery box.