Popular Fire Alarm Brands in Your Area

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
jrc_the_bud
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: jrc_the_bud_alarms

RJARRRPCGP wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 pm And I never heard of "H-E-B".
H-E-B is a large, unique grocery store chain only found in Texas (and now parts of Mexico).
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

RJARRRPCGP wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:08 pm
Gentex SPK4 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 pm Autocall is more common in 1990s era construction, particularly schools. EST Genesis and Integrity signals are becoming more common in some parts of the county.
I don't know about Autocall, because it looked like they possibly fell from the face of this planet in the 1990s, if not some time before!
But, it looks like during the 1980s and possibly the 1990s, Federal Signal owned Autocall.
I am talking about Grinnell/Autocall and Thorn-Autocall here. These systems mostly have FOS 6120 horn/strobes or even Wheelock EHSs or MTs!
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

In and around my home state of Michigan, the most common systems I've seen come from Edwards, Fire-Lite, Honeywell, National Time, Notifier, Simplex, and System Sensor. National Time is especially popular, as their headquarters is in Metro Detroit. For lesser-common systems, I've run across older Gamewell and Standard Electric systems in some places.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

I'm now thinking maybe I should move to Michigan since they sound like they have unique systems. XD
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
cerbpyro
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

My area has a decent mixture, but it's not hard to discern the prevalence once you start looking. Listed below from most to least prevalent:

Siemens//Cerberus Pyrotronics//Pyrotronics//Pyr-A-Larm

Fairly common already and growing in popularity as of late. Pyrotronics and Simplex both developed a great customer base here from the 1960s onward, but the former has seriously surpassed Simplex in the past few years. Three of our school districts now use Siemens exclusively in new installs and retrofits; my district even did a mass replacement last year that saw every Honeywell and EST system ripped out and replaced by a new Siemens system of either the Cerberus PRO or FireFinder XLS varieties. New, smaller Siemens systems seem to be cropping up in commercial establishments around here more and more frequently, especially the Cerberus PRO FC901 and FC922 panels. Some of these have replaced Honeywell, EST, and even a couple of old Autocall systems. Of course, the Z-Series line has become even more ubiquitous than the SpectrAlert Advance around here, though some of the new systems use Siemens NS-MC-CR's (Wheelock NS-24MCC-FR) for ceiling notification. Initiation devices are H-Series detectors and the HMS-D pull station in particular seems to be the favorite pull. The older Siemens ans Cerberus Pyrotronics stuff uses basically everything they've offered over the years for both notification and initiation.

Simplex

Fairly common, but slowly losing ground in the smaller segment. Most of the systems installed around here in the past decade have been of the large 4100U/4100ES variety. Most of the middle and high schools in a neighboring school district (all with 1000+ students) have these systems with either Simplex TrueAlert (4906 variants) or Wheelock NS/RSS signals. One middle school has a red 4100U with white ZNS horn/strobes (wall and ceiling) and white ZRS (wall and ceiling) strobes. Older systems are mostly 4020s, 4002s and 4005s, some replacing 2001s and 4207/8 panels. There are a few 4010s, but most of the older 4100 systems have been upgraded in the past five years to 4100ES equipment. Initiation devices are pretty much your standard 4098/4099 fare. Most of the older systems use 4903-Series, 2901-9833+2903-9X01, or 2901-9838+4903-9101 signals and pretty much your run-of-the-mill Simplex initiating device fare. Anything older than this has pretty much been totally upgraded by now.

Honeywell: Fire-Lite//Notifier//Silent Knight//Gamewell-FCi

Common, but losing ground to Siemens. Fire-Lite and Silent Knight are by far the most common of the four, especially the MS-9200 series and the older IntelliKnight series panels. Notifier and Gamewell-FCi aren't too hard to find, the former mostly using NFS2-640 or -3030 panels in large installations and the latter using the 7100 or GF510 panels for smaller systems. As of the past two or three years, an increasing number of these systems have been replaced by Siemens systems as the integrity of the installation quality has been questionable at best, especially on the Silent Knight end of things. Signals post-2008 are usually the oh-so-common and oh-so-adored SpectrAlert Advance line, occassionally the Gentex Commander line, and initiation devices are the usual BG-12/System Sensor fare. Pre-2008 is a mixture of Wheelock AS/MT/NS/RSS/ZNS/7002T, System Sensor SpectrAlert Classics, System Sensor MASSes, and the occasional Gentex SHG/GMS/GXS signals. Initiation devices are either BG-10s, BG-8s, Century's, MS-2's/MS-6's/PS-SATK's and older System Sensor sensors.

EST//Edwards//AIP

EST and Edwards are somewhat common in 1980s-1990s-early 2000s buildings around here, but the oldest systems and all the QuickStarts are starting to go, usually replaced by Siemens or occasionally Fire-Lite. Especially common panels in this category are the EST3 and the Edwards 2400/EST1. A few small, late-80s locations around here have or had AIP systems, but at least three of those have been replaced (one by a Fire-Lite MS-5UD, one by a Siemens SXL-EX and the last by a Siemens Cerberus PRO FC901). Newer systems are the usual SIGA- and Genesis fare, but the older systems are a mixture of Integrity, 892, 792 and Adaptahorn signals and 270-SPO and Edwards/System Sensor detectors.

Autocall

Exactly three establishments in this area have/had older Autocall systems. I can't say what the panels are/were, but the alarms in all three systems are/were Federal Signal 450D+VALS signals and 4050-001 pull stations. One system had a 450D+V1971 ADA-compliant horn/strobe. One of these three systems, in a local grocery store, is currently in the process of being replaced by a new Siemens Cerberus PRO FC901 system as I type. The Autocall system is still in place, but new Siemens NS-MC-CR/ZH-MC-R/ZR-MC-CR signals, OP921 smokes and HMS-D pulls are being installed as I type. There's also a new Siemens FSD901-R3 annunciator at the front of the store.

****Any brand not mentioned above doesn't have enough of a presence in my area to be included. I know of at least one Mircom and Hochiki as well as one National Time system, but they're strictly outliers.****
Steven Davis
K-12 Music Education Major, Class of 2021
2020 Drum Major
Principal Chair Bassoonist
Self-Proclaimed Orch Dork :D
#Volvo4Life
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

The only places near me that have Siemens are my High School and a newly constructed shopping plaza. Most common horn/strobes are of course, Z-Series alarms and H-Series pulls, however the Whole Foods in that department has A-series (AS) notification.
blm // he/him
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Boston area:

Simplex: Very common, in installs of all sizes, especially larger ones.

Honeywell: Notifier is quite common in installs of varying sizes. Fire-Lite and Silent Knight are very common for smaller installs, like standalone restaurants. Gamewell-FCI is not exactly that common, but not too rare, either.

EST: Quite common, mainly in larger installs.

Siemens: Not common. Only know of a few installs, like the school that I'll be going to next year.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sounds like there is still a lot of Simplex alarms around there. One of these days maybe I will go down there and check it out if I get the chance.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
nscherneck
YouTube Username: Nathan Scherneck

I'm from Portland, Oregon and work for a company that specializes in special hazards systems (clean agent, inert gas, watermist, industrial dry chemical, explosion protection, gas detection, etc.). We also install new fire alarm systems and service a lot of existing systems ranging from fire sprinkler monitoring to a few small high-rise systems. I work both in the Portland metro area and more rural areas in Oregon, Washington, and California. Here's what I see:

Siemens - lots of legacy Pyrotronics systems out there. MXL and MXL-IQ. I also service some SXL and System 3 systems. Lots of the high-rise buildings have Siemens systems.

Notifier - we're a Notifier dealer so we install new Notifier systems and get calls to service existing systems.

JCI / Simplex - they're everywhere, right? Especially in the high-rise market.

Silent Knight - also everywhere. They're all over the commercial market. Tilt-up buildings with good size sprinkler monitoring systems seem to always be Silent Knight or Firelite systems.

EST - I hear they're out here, but I don't come across them too often. We perform testing on a couple of these systems, but I'm sure as hell not gonna touch them.
fierlarmz_09
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Honeywell brands (Notifier, Fire Lite Alarms Inc., Silent Knight) are all the most popular brands/devices in my area.
Robert A
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Depends, really.
Just about every retail/store/restaurant in San Antonio has Fire-Lite or Silent Knight. Understandable, though.
OSU has mostly Simplex systems, with the occasional Notifier system scattered about.
Up here in Omaha where I am this summer, the company I work for is an EST distributor, so there's a lot of that around.
Robert Aslin | Moderator
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, please send me a PM, or email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Hope that if you see a ton of EST systems that you eventually get to a system that has an Adaptahorn on it. :)
fierlarmz_09
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

The most popular FA brand in my county/area is Simplex.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Simplex seems to be up there with System Sensor as the most popular fire alarm brand in some areas.
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

RJARRRPCGP wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 pm
EdwardsFan wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm Hell, I've worked on more Mirtone panels than I ever have on Simplex/Notifier.
I think I saw a Mirtone FACP in northern Vermont, in Northfield, Vermont. And I saw what looked like Wheelock 7002s, possibly the "T"s, they had the late-style grille, but possibly with the old style black horns. If they're the "T"s, (silver-plated horns) then I doubt they are later than 1986. (the first ones of such) Thus likely placing them in the Faraday 6020/Simplex 2901-9833 era. The Mirtone FACP, looked like the same era.
Funny you say that, I was just working on a Mirtone system with the 7002Ts, seems to be common with that panel & horns.
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley