Pull stations should not be used as light switches.

They just aren’t designed for that purpose and ironically it can start a fire.

[quote=Housedays post_id=84224 time=1561028649 user_id=2894]

They just aren’t designed for that purpose and ironically it can start a fire.

[/quote]

It can if your pull station’s switch is not rated for the voltage that you are going to pass through it.

A good example would be the Edwards 270-SPO’s switch. It is rated for 30VAC and 60VDC at 3 Amps. If you were to run 120VAC at 15 Amps through the switch, it would probably melt the switch.

Never really realized that the voltage for a house’s electrical system is much more substantial than the voltage for a pull station. I always thought it was the other way around for some reason.

Even if a pull station is rated for the appropriate current/voltage, most lack an earth connection (ground screw) which could cause a fire under the right circumstances (i.e. lightning strike, internal device failure/short circuit).

i saw them in a goanimate video

[quote=simplexspectralert post_id=84268 time=1561266234 user_id=4797]

[/quote]

What video? Please be specific, no more vagueness.

If voltage wasn’t an issue, how would you turn the lights off if you lose the key, because that could be another problem.

[quote=simplexspectralert post_id=84268 time=1561266234 user_id=4797]

[/quote]

Yes, because GoAnimate is the paragon of realism.

Just please be careful. It’s fun to play around with these things, and I’ve done it in the past. But if your house burns down, even for an unrelated reason, and they find evidence of DIY wiring that is not up to code, they can use it to deny all or part of your claim. They are ruthless like that and have no qualms about bankrupting your family. Just keep that thought in the back of your mind.

I wouldn’t screw around with any of it at all because this house I’m living in was built by my great-grandpa Vincenzo who I never met and 3 generations grew up in it. Also there are 10 people living here on 2 floors and a basement apartment.