MAPNET versus IDNET

Greetings, can some explain the difference between MAPNET and IDNET. Thanks

Andrew explained the difference in a general topic about addressable protocols a few years ago:

For reference, what panel are you looking at?

MAPNet devices do not transmit their type to the panel. It is possible to place an incorrect device on an address and the panel will not show a trouble. The exception is Truealarm analog smoke sensors which do identify a type to the panel. Photo, ion, or heat sensors will show a trouble if switched. A trouble will show if a standard, relay, or sounder base is on an incorrect address. Also, MAPNet contact devices only transmit three states to the panel, normal, trouble, and alarm.

IDNet devices have a device type signature that is transmitted to the panel. An incorrect device on an address will cause a trouble on the panel. For example, the IAM in a pull station cannot be removed for use with some other function such as a flow or tamper. If programmed as a water flow device a trouble will result because the IAM is telling the panel it is suppose to be programmed as a pull station. Also, IDNet contact monitoring devices can transmit four states, normal, open, short, and current limited. This allows using one IAM for a flow switch and tamper switch. The flow switch shorts the point which causes an alarm. The tamper switch connects with a resistor in series which causes a current limited condition which the panel shows as a supervisory.

Both MAPNet and IDNet can do some interesting things with analog smoke or heat sensors. For example, the smoke sensor chamber condition can be read to create a pre-alarm condition at the panel. The temperature of a heat sensor can be read to use as a freeze alarm. Some of these special functions are not available on all panels.

Thanks for your response on the Fire Panel Forum. I want to connect FACPs on different locations to master panel that will be connected to the overall facility fire and gas system.
I’m specifying for simplex 4007 and 4010ES panels. My reservation is that the Simplex® remote unit interface (RUI) communications is limited to 763 meters. Is there any other communication unit that can connect panels that are more than 700 meters apart? Kindly advice

Be aware that RUI cannot be used for panel to panel communication. RUI is for panel to annunciator communications. Panel to panel communications is accomplished by using 4120 network modules. Network can communicate 10,000 feet or more. If running outside between buildings fiber optic modules are very highly recommended.

The original 4010 could not be a main panel as it could not accept external points from other panels. At least one panel on the network had to be from the 4100 family. I will have to check on the 4010ES capability as a main panel.

I determined that a 4010ES can accept external points from other panels. The 4010ES is designed as a 1,000 point panel. The point count includes both local points wired to the panel plus external points received from other panels.