Kevtistic's Alarm/Bell/Detector Collection

Here you can create a topic to show off photos of your fire alarm collection, or to post a link to a website featuring your collection.
Forum rules
If you make a topic that has a link to your website, please mark it with "URL: " on the beginning of the topic name. Example: "URL: John Smith's Collection"
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Really cool finds that you managed to come into! We actually have a model 0914 smoke detector though I'm not sure where it was branded from because i don't think ours has writing on it.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Over the last few months, I visited some antique and collectibles close to me, and managed to snag some sweet finds! There will be more devices to post in the coming days.

This is my Wheelock KS-16301 telephone ringer bell, manufactured exclusively for the Bell System. Stevenson High School in Livonia (and possibly Franklin High in the same city) used to have one of these installed, but I never heard it ring. I believe I've also seen one installed outside of a Belle Tire in Plymouth Township, likely used to signal when a car pulls up for servicing.

Unfortunately, I have no way of testing this currently, despite having a plug I could insert into an outlet. This is because I need a telephone line to hook it up with, to my knowledge.

This is my Faraday 346 signaling bell. It has a 3" gong, something that is unusual among most general signaling devices. I've also never seen one of these devices in the wild. If I choose to test this device at a later date, I might have to rewire the bell because part of the existing wiring is frayed.

My Edwards 874-N5 horn is a type of horn I haven't seen very often; the last time I saw one of these was at a gas station, as part of a Veeder-Root system.

Last, but not least, is my Federal Sign and Signal 350 horn, under the Vibratone series of devices. I've seen several of these devices and remnants thereof at Eastern Michigan University; Sill Hall still has them installed (as the flush-mount variant, branded under Simplex), and both Best Hall and the Quirk/Sponberg Theatre buildings originally had the flush-mount variants (under Simplex) also prior to both systems getting upgraded to Faraday voice-evac systems. Outside of EMU, both Franklin and Stevenson High Schools in Livonia used to have these horns, and both times, they were rebranded as part of Standard Electric Time systems. Both schools now use recently-installed National Time systems.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Really great finds that you got! Great job with all of these!
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:21 pm

This is my last set of pictures, for now, until I add a new device to my collection.

My Western Electric 592A telephone ringer bell is yet another relic of the old Bell System, and both companies shared close ties with each other. So far, this is my only collection piece to have dual gongs.

This is my Edwards 340 Adaptabel, which a previous owner had wired up to ring whenever it's plugged into a socket. I plan on posting a video of the device in action soon. Surprisingly, this bell is fairly quiet when it rings.

This Faraday 5410 horn, when I bought it, came only with the horn itself and a mounting box. A family member bought a metal conduit; a metal mounting box; a fuse; a push button; and an extension cord; to put all of these together for me to sound off in my free time. Before, the device had exposed wiring protruding from the mounting box in the back, which was too dangerous for me to hook up alone. For a little history, Faraday was the original manufacturer of this horn, which would be rebranded by companies such as Simplex and Honeywell. I'll also post a video of me setting it off soon. Unlike the Edwards 340, this device is loud enough that I use hearing protection.

My Holtzer-Cabot Type S vibrating bell, is quite likely, the oldest device I have in my collection.

Finally, this is an image of all my collection pieces as of January 22, 2019. There will be more to come soon!
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 pm

These devices that you got are really awesome! You have gotten a great haul!
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm

New to the collection is my Emdeko 115-A device, manufactured by Casady Engineering Associates. This vintage alarm is a cross between a smoke detector and a fire bell. The cover is wound up to set the alarm (like winding up an alarm clock); then, when the enclosed thermostat reaches a certain temperature, the motor starts ringing the bell until the wind-up mechanisms inside reset on their own. The rectangular metal piece on the left can be pushed down to sound the alarm, also. I like this device because for a collector, they can sound it off without the need of wiring it up or inserting batteries.

According to the seller I acquired this device from, it originally came from a school. My best guess is that it was used in a small schoolhouse room. I've never seen this device in person before. On a more interesting note, the same seller had National Time bells for sale (models P806 and P810F), but they were in poor cosmetic shape when the seller salvaged them from a demolished bank building.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Really awesome edition that you got! I like how that alarm looks!
Kintner
New User
New User

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:50 am

Impressive collection, gotta say! Love the big red one. So iconic.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 pm

You have anything else coming up that you plan to share?
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 pm
You have anything else coming up that you plan to share?
I haven't bought any other devices since my last post. I don't have an eBay profile at the moment, and really, I'm not in any sort of rush to expand my collection. I feel that as time goes on, and I go out to browse more antique shops; flea markets; and the like in the future; I'll gradually buy more devices.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:10 pm

I didn't even know that old fire alarms could be sold to antique shops or flea markets.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 pm

It's time again for another update!

This my Cerberus Pyrotronics HSD-24 horn/strobe, the first of two horn/strobes new to my collection. This device is more famously known as the Wheelock 7002T-24, and it has been rebranded by other companies such as Honeywell and National Time. According to a couple of marks on the back, this device was manufactured on April 4, 1992, and it uses an opaque strobe (pre-ADA regulations). Unlike most horn/strobes, this device (along with other members of the 7002-series of horn/strobes) consists of the horn and strobe wired together, which causes the horn to "skip" and change its pitch every time the strobe flashes while the horn is sounding.

Here is my Wheelock AS-24MCW horn/strobe. This is a newer version of this particular device; an older version uses a vertically-mounted strobe. The device has the option to sound in temporal (aka code-3).

My Simplex 4255-1 thermodetector is the latest detector-related device I have to add in my collection. Working similarly to a heat detector, it triggers the alarm system when the heat inside of a room being affected by fire reaches a certain temperature. This device is also branded under the Chemtronics label.

The last device I have to share for now is my Evered & Co. "Wilkinson" motor bell. It operates similarly to my Emdeko 115-A motor bell, except that there is a fusible alloy that melts after the heat inside a room being affected by fire reaches a certain temperature. When the alloy melts, it triggers the bell to ring and rotates the gong until the device resets itself.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Fri May 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Those are actually some really nice additions that you got you your collection! i have to admit I do wonder what the 7002 as labeled as by other companies.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 pm

It's time to introduce six new pieces to the collection!

First up is my Notifier BG-1 pull station. Unfortunately, the condition in which I bought it was without a key and some of the internal components. Unlike other pull stations, the Notifier BG-1 only requires the user to pull down on a little opening behind the top of the device. I believe this is an older version of the BNG-1, and it led to other pull stations in the BG-series over the years.

Next, I have my Federal Signal 500 Vibratone bell, also known by the model name A-6. These bells are still in production today, according to Federal Signal's website. I've tested the bell already, and it is definitely loud. Once I research how, I plan on posting sound clips of this bell and some of my other devices to the forums.

Now here's something that's sure to attract attention! This is my Falcon Dynamics "Pyro-Sentinel" FD-36CD fire alarm air horn. This kind of alarm would most likely have been used in an industrialized setting, such as a factory, where loud machinery would make it hard to hear a regular alarm. It uses pressurized liquid to sound the horn, but I believe it can also be attached to an air hose to provide enough air supply to sound the horn also. Generally, the liquid inside must be heated to a certain temperature for the horn to sound.

I also have a new Emdeko device! This is my Model 106 heat detector, which looks like it is battery-operated, but also sounds when it detects a minimum temperature of 135 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm guessing either a mechanical horn or a piezo is inside the enclosed casing. There's also a push button for testing purposes.

This is my first "unknown" device, in terms of a manufacturer or model. It's a bell with an 8" brass gong, and a previous owner mounted it onto a wooden plank. I disassembled it slightly to show the inside of the housing. If anybody knows any identifying information about this bell, please let me know!

Last, but not least, is something truly spectacular, and what may be as close as I get to an alarm control panel for the time being. It is a National Time control panel manufactured specifically for fire drill purposes. A paper card with instructions is located inside the plastic cubby. I'm guessing this may have been part of a larger control panel in the past. Like my Notifier BG-1, it did not come with a key, sadly.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 am

That all looks so very awesome! You think you can get a key?