I've started a fire alarm collection!

Here you can create a topic to show off photos of your fire alarm collection, or to post a link to a website featuring your collection.
Forum rules
If you make a topic that has a link to your website, please mark it with "URL: " on the beginning of the topic name. Example: "URL: John Smith's Collection"
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

I've started a fire alarm collection!

Post by wiley209 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Today the college Fine Arts building staff let me have a couple of alarms out of their box of old fire alarm parts! (They also have an old Simplex clock there, but it was broken.) Here is what I have so far, and I plan to soon add more to the collection once I have the money. And I only plan to display them, not set them off (like TrueAlertSS and Firefly usually do).

Faraday 6020 horn. This is the same kind of horn as the Simplex 2901-9833. It is rather old, and has a bit of paint chipped too, but I'm sure if I tested it, it'd sound fine.

Tag on the horn.

Unusual retrofit plate of some sort. It may be a Simplex model, but it could be Faraday's knock-off of the 4050-80. It's the same size as a 2903 light plate, and would apparently mount the same way too (it was broken when I got it, though.) Maybe it was actually meant for bells or something.

Here's one way a horn can be mounted on it.

The other method for installing it. Looks rather awkward this way. I can't picture any of these having been in the Fine Arts building or whatever.

My favorite alarm in my collection so far: a Simplex 2903-9001 light plate!

The back, which reveals it is the light version.

The tag info.

Both retrofit plates next to each other.

The light plate with a Simplex 2901-9833 on it (a.k.a. my Faraday 6020 horn.)

Side view.

An alternate variation, where I popped the lens out of the light plate, then popped it back in the other way around!

Any comments?

TrueAlert Speaker/Strobe
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Re: I've started a fire alarm collection!

Post by TrueAlert Speaker/Strobe » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Thats a pretty nice starter! I bet ur happy to have those items, as you are a Simplex fan.

As for my collection, I sadly won't be expanding it anytime soon due to limited budget.
Emergency Drills and Actual Emergencies 2012-2013 (Fire Drill, Lockdown Drill, False Alarm, Fire Emergency, Other Emergency):

tpirman1982
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Post by tpirman1982 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice. I hope to hear how it sounds soon.
Visit my Price is Right fansite at
http://www.angelfire.com/funky/plinkoman/index.html

wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by wiley209 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Firefly wrote:Cool, I can't wait to see what else you add to it! I'm surprised the school didn't give you any Standard horn/lights. Are there any of those left slated to be removed? :wink:
I'm afraid not. :( The only building with any left is the Student Union. But they have newer strobes retrofitted onto where the lights once were.

wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by wiley209 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Got a few more tidbits...

Another Simplex 2903 light plate, a Simplex 4050-80 light plate (with replacement lens and no light circut on the back, the one pictured I put my old Faraday 6020 horn on it), a Simplex 2098-9536 smoke detector base and another one of those mysterious light plates with another Faraday 6020 horn on it.

If anyone's interested, I may be selling one of the 6020 horns and a 2903 light plate. PM me if interested.

It turns out these are meant to be scrap and should be thrown out in the future, so I managed to salvage some of these just in case. I'm sure they won't mind in THAT case.

NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: NewAgeServerAlarm

Post by NewAgeServer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Could you please snap a picture comparing the backs of the mystery plate and the 4050-80?
Andrew Davis -- Chief Administrator & Site Owner
The Fire Panel & The Fire Panel Forums
All questions or concerns, please PM here or email at newageserver@thefirepanel.com

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel

wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by wiley209 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:27 pm

NewAgeServer wrote:Could you please snap a picture comparing the backs of the mystery plate and the 4050-80?
I could, but like I said; the light circuitry is missing on the back of both of them.

NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by NewAgeServer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 pm

I dont care... can you do it anyway?
All questions or concerns, please PM here or email at newageserver@thefirepanel.com

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel

wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by wiley209 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:34 pm

NewAgeServer wrote:I dont care... can you do it anyway?
Can and done!

And while I'm here, here is a picture of the strange retrofit plate and the 2903 light plate together... they both seem quite similar. Hmm...

NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by NewAgeServer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Whoa damn the 4050-80 has a much simpler design than my 4050-84... doesn't it kinda look like the light could be installed in a backbox with a Decora (R) style coverplate, to make a remote light? As for the strange plate, I now want one lol, but I know I probably can't have one.

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel

wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Post by wiley209 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm

NewAgeServer wrote:As for the strange plate, I now want one lol, but I know I probably can't have one.
Maybe you could, if you unscrewed the light circuitry from your 4050-84 onto it, but it would be a hassle to switch between alarms. But then again, it's just screwing (I think.) I could sell you one if you are interested. Since you already have two 2901-9833s, then you don't really need a Faraday 6020.

NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by NewAgeServer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:09 am

That and I don't want another 9833! My 4050-84 was actually dual bulb but one light burned out so I converted the signal to single bulb. I still have the lampholder though so all I would need is another lightbulb...

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel

Destin
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: thesdx

Post by Destin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 am

NewAgeServer wrote:That and I don't want another 9833! My 4050-84 was actually dual bulb but one light burned out so I converted the signal to single bulb. I still have the lampholder though so all I would need is another lightbulb...
Those lightbulbs are pretty cheap and can easily be found at RadioShack. In fact, it uses the same bulb as the 2903 and SAE AV32.
Destin L. (thesdx)
My Website — FireAlarmCollector.com
My YouTube Channel
I'm no longer very active on here, but if you wish to contact me, feel free to send me a PM. :wink: