Multi tone TrueAlert help

Post here if you need help with something related to fire alarms
Josh555
New Participant
New Participant

Multi tone TrueAlert help

Postby Josh555 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:33 pm

I recently purchased a TrueAlert Horn/Strobe that apparently is multi toned and free run/smart sync selectable. the id no. is 49CMTV-WWF. I cant find any documentation that explains what the dip switches do. Anyone know what each of these DIP switches do?

firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: firefreak57

Re: Multi tone TrueAlert help

Postby firefreak57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Josh555 wrote:I recently purchased a TrueAlert Horn/Strobe that apparently is multi toned and free run/smart sync selectable. the id no. is 49CMTV-WWF. I cant find any documentation that explains what the dip switches do. Anyone know what each of these DIP switches do?
Image Removed

That is a TrueAlertES. Unfortunately these are all-addressable notification appliances which require the special TrueAlertES TPS on a 4100U or any ES series addressable panel to operate. They will not run or work at all conventionally. If you can I would recommend you return the item, and if not you might as well just keep it as a display piece, because unfortunately it can't be used unless you have one of the ES series addressable panels which are extremely proprietary not to mention extremely expensive.
Last edited by kcin556 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Strike-through incorrect information
The official account of firefreak57!
Proud Owner of a Simplex 4004 Fire Alarm System
My YouTube Channel

Josh555
New Participant
New Participant

Postby Josh555 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:36 pm

firefreak57 wrote:
Josh555 wrote:I recently purchased a TrueAlert Horn/Strobe that apparently is multi toned and free run/smart sync selectable. the id no. is 49CMTV-WWF. I cant find any documentation that explains what the dip switches do. Anyone know what each of these DIP switches do?
Image removed

That is a TrueAlertES. Unfortunately these are all-addressable notification appliances which require the special TrueAlertES TPS on a 4100U or any ES series addressable panel to operate. They will not run or work at all conventionally. If you can I would recommend you return the item, and if not you might as well just keep it as a display piece, because unfortunately it can't be used unless you have one of the ES series addressable panels which are extremely proprietary not to mention extremely expensive.

Not trying to say your wrong, but the little documentation that i found on it is directly contrary to what you are saying. the cover plate also does not say "TrueAlertES" it says "TrueAlert"

https://www.tycosimplexgrinnell.com/wps ... 6eb33ce00c

FireAlarmTech9
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: FireAlarmTech9

Postby FireAlarmTech9 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 pm

firefreak57 wrote:
[image removed to reduce post length]

It is not a TrueAlert ES, a quick Google shows:

"TrueAlert Notification Appliances
Audible/Visible Notification Appliances; Multi-Tone Horn/Strobe with 520 Hz Output, Non-Addressable"

Though I've never seen a TrueAlert with this kind of model number, but it is listed in here as "Multi-Tone multi-candela horn/strobe for
SmartSync or Free-run control; includes cover and matching mounting plate"

If you could send some more pictures of the whole device I might be able to find the diagrams, or someone else could I'm sure.
Posting a picture of the sticker would be helpful.
FireAlarmTech9 on YouTube
Kevinsal03 on Twitter
FireAlarmTech9 on Instagram
FireAlarms.gq my website limited to only 3 links
Owner of a Simplex 4002 and a 4010!
When I made my channel I didn't know about FireAlarmJrTech9.

Josh555
New Participant
New Participant

Postby Josh555 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:53 pm

FireAlarmTech9 wrote:
firefreak57 wrote:

Audible/Visible Notification Appliances; Multi-Tone Horn/Strobe with 520 Hz Output, Non-Addressable"

Though I've never seen a TrueAlert with this kind of model number, but it is listed in here as "Multi-Tone multi-candela horn/strobe for

If you could send some more pictures of the whole device I might be able to find the diagrams, or someone else could I'm sure.

Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Fpy ... E9fWDdBeGc

firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Postby firefreak57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:00 pm

FireAlarmTech9 wrote:
firefreak57 wrote:

I'm not sure what it is, because as I was aware they were never made conventionally, but I stand corrected...

This is certainly odd, as what I had been made aware of is the ES series all had low frequency.
My YouTube Channel

firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Postby firefreak57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

FireAlarmTech9 wrote:
firefreak57 wrote:

Documentation reveals it is SmartSync only and only a SmartSync module or panel input will recognize the tones. Basically your power sources are a 4100U, any ES series panel, 4009 IDNet NAC Extender or a 4905-9938 SmartSync cube...
My YouTube Channel

firefreak57
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Postby firefreak57 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Image Removed

Another thing I am seeing is only one tone is suited for non SmartSync operation which is the Norm/Convl. All the others require SmartSync to operate.
My YouTube Channel

kcin556
YouTube Username: kcin556

Postby kcin556 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 pm

As there has been a lot of misinformation in this post, I am going to ask that no further claims are made without specific references to the product manual or personal field experience.

firefreak57 wrote:Another thing I am seeing is only one tone is suited for non SmartSync operation which is the Norm/Convl. All the others require SmartSync to operate.

According to the manual linked below, the 520Hz Horn, Broadband Horn, Bell, and Chime tones are "compatible with control panel SmartSync commands for operation as Temporal Code 3, March Time (selected at appliance for 20 or 60 bpm), or Continuous operation. The Slow Whoop, Siren and High/Low tones "operate as Continuous with synchronization with control panel SmartSync commands."

I see no indication here that SmartSync is required for all tones. Rather, the manual implies that the initial four tones may be coded through the SmartSync protocol, while the latter three tones must operate in continuous coding, but will be kept in sync by SmartSync (if used).

Most importantly of all, the data sheet states: "Operation is selectable for SmartSync two-wire controlor asynchronous, free-run operation."

While I do not have information to prove the exact function of each DIP switch selection, I see no reason to believe the OP will be unable to use this device.

Nick - Moderator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 Alarm Website - kcin556 on YouTube - Fire Alarm Sales

Nazeo
Fire Alarm Technician

Postby Nazeo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Hello all,

I bring a current dated datasheet of all of Simplex's notification appliances as shown here.

As the document states:

Code: Select all

SmartSync or Free-Run operation

Multi-candela strobe with multi-tone
electronic horn; strobe intensity is selectable
as 15, 30, 75, or 110 cd

Tone is DIP switch selectable per A/V as:
520 Hz Horn, High/Low, Broadband Horn,
Bell, Slow Whoop, Siren, or Chime

Horn, bell, and high/low tones are selectable
per appliance for 60 or 20 BPM (typically for
Canadian applications) when receiving
March Time SmartSync commands

It also links the specific documentation, ( which kcin556 has already provided, but I will again link here. You will also notice this reference is updated as it now displays it's FM and CSFM approvals) in it's table.

Hope this has been helpful!
http://www.airindknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Untitled-design-1.png

Return to “Fire Alarm Help”