Power Source Suggestions?

Hello all! I’m new here. I’m a mom trying to help my fire alarm enthusiast son with wiring two alarms and pull stations for a science fair project. He follows quite a few Youtubers and we’ve watched a couple of how-to videos on wiring his own. I’ve also seen the sticky on the beginner forum but I have not been able to find a correct power source, as the link in the sticky post takes me to Amazon, and they no longer sell it…

My son has 2 BG-12 pull stations (one has a hex key and the other has an actual key), a System Sensor P2W, and a System Sensor HR-LF. We want to wire one horn to one pull station each. Speaker wire seems easy enough to come by, but the “adapter” many speak of on YouTube eludes me.

I consider myself a smart person, but I’m a little weirded out by buying a generic phone charger and cutting it open to expose wires, and then plug it in the wall. The adapter mentioned in the beginner sticky thread would have been perfect, as the positive/negative wires would have been already split when you buy it.

So does anyone have any good ideas or options on how to power these things? Am I just being a coward to expose electrical wires and plug them in an AC outlet? We considered doing a 12vdc option, but I haven’t seen any videos on routing the power from the battery(ies) through the pull station and horns and back, so AC might be our better option. Worst case, I can go to Koorsen in town and see if they can show me?? :shock:

Sorry so long and thanks in advance for helping out a mom with a science fair project! I really don’t know anything about this but really want to do this safely!

A bit of a late response, but I still hope this helps!

Generally, fire alarm horn strobes are powered on 24 volts, but a very easy solution to this problem is to buy 3 9-volt batteries and connect the terminals together. Connect the positive end (circular terminal) of one battery to the negative end (hexagonal terminal) together, so that the negative end of one battery and the positive end of another are on opposing sides. Then, connect the negative end of the third battery to the exposed positive end of the two batteries that are connected. Here’s a video tutorial to help explain more in-depth:

[Stop when you get to the third battery]

Hope this will help!