Simplex Custom Control

Hi all,

I have somewhat of a complicated question about Simplex’s custom control. I have a 4010 that I am using on a small scale demonstration system, and I would like to replicate one of the features from my old high school’s fire alarm system. So here’s the backstory on the school’s system - the school relatively large pre-k through 12 school with many buildings like a college campus. Each building had its own panel connected to a 4120 network. The Simplex system was originally installed in 1999 and consisted of all 4100+ panels, 4903 electronic horn strobes and MAPNET II initiating devices. Some of the original panels have been replaced with 4100U’s and 4100ES’s over the past decade or so, and a 4010 Classic was added to the network when the new Pre-K building was constructed about ten years ago. The system had one specific feature in particular I’m trying to replicate on my 4010 system, that being a special severe weather custom control function. Whenever severe weather alerts were issued, all panels would go into supervisory, and only the horns would sound in steady (no strobes) until the supervisory condition cleared. The supervisory was initiated by a customized pull station in the office labeled “SEVERE WEATHER”. I’m just wondering if this is something done in custom control, and how it would be programmed on the 4010. If anyone could tell me I’d appreciate it.

It may be possible, but I need to know a few facts about your system.

What kind of device are you planning to use to initiate the weather warning? A standard IDNet pull station cannot be made a supervisory. The IAM in a pull station has an internal identification code that has to be a pull station in the system programming. A 4090-9001 IAM or a 4090- 9101 ZAM can be programmed as a supervisory.

What notification appliances are you using? A Smartsync horn-strobe cannot operate the horn only because the strobe always operates when the NAC is on. Obviously, Smartsync appliances operating through an external control module can only sound the horn according to the switch setting on the control module. Any 4-wire notification appliances will work as you want because the horn and strobe are on separate circuits.

Also need to know if you are using temporal code for fire alarm signaling? If not, what code?

Well, I plan on purchasing one of those customized STI “Stopper Stations” labeled severe weather and attaching it to an IDNet module to initiate the supervisory. For the signals, I plan on using a 4903-9237 4 wire horn strobe, and I plan on setting the coding for fire to temporal, much like the school I graduated from did.

OK, here it is.

Change the point type of the horn NAC to SIGNAL. This allows it to be used in Custom Control equations. Custom Control entered by the front panel uses the [CARD-POINT] numbering system.

Be sure to read the Custom Control section of the installation instructions in detail. The better you understand it the easier this will be.

This equation sets up temporal code for fire alarm operation.
22-01 is the automatically generated list of general alarm fire points.
18-17 is Control Point Bypass. Horn will not turn on when bypass is on.
01-02 is NAC point 2. Substitute your point.
[FIRE DET] [22-01]
[AND] [NOT] [ON/CODE] [18-17]
End of Input
[TEMPORAL] [01-02] [Pri 9,9]
End of Output

This equation sets up the horn point to track the supervisory steady on. The priority of 8,9 causes the tornado warning to override a fire alarm signal.
03-01 is IDNet card point 1. Substitute your point.
[SUPV] [03-01]
[AND] [NOT] [ON/CODE] [18-17]
End of Input
[TRACK ON] [01-02] [Pri 8,9]
End of Output

This equation does alarm silence for a temporal fire alarm signal but not the tornado warning.
18-26 is a digital pseudo point turned on when alarm silence button is pushed.
[ON/CODE] [18-26]
End of Input
[HOLD OFF] [01-02] [Pri 9,9]
End of Output

18-26 does not turn itself off. This equation takes care of that.
21-01 is a user analog pseudo point set as a 3 second timer. When 18-26 turns on this equation turns it off in 3 seconds.
[ON/CODE] [18-26]
[DELAY CNST] [21-01] [00003]
End of Input
[HOLD OFF] [18-26] [Pri 9,9]
End of Output

Have fun with this!

Ok so I am finally starting to get around to actually programming this into my 4010, and upon attempting to program the first output statement, 01-02 after temporal is not showing up as an option for me. My panel will only let me select points between 22-xx and 23-xx. The input statements were programmed in prior to this as show in your prior post. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Sounds like you left your horn NAC set to a general alarm point type. Probably SSIGNAL. General alarm output point types are locked out of custom control. Change it to SIGNAL which releases it from general alarm and allows use in custom control.

Ok, I went ahead and did that, works just fine now. I really appreciate all your help! Thank you!