MS-5UD and Laptop Compatibility

Hey,

So lately I’ve been interested in Firelite’s PS-Tools, and today got a USB printer cable, downloaded PS-Tools, and began setting it up. Once connecting the USB cable to my laptop, it began intermittently connecting, disconnecting, and repeating (Keep in mind my 5UD’s version is 2.3). After attempting to connect to it with PS, no USB device was detected. I troubleshooted the driver, and it ended up coming up with no way of fixing it. Basically, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and somehow resolved it, or if I’m being dumb and not flipping a switch on the 5UD’s pcb or am in the right mode, or if my usb connector on the 5UD is busted (although it looks intact to me).

Perhaps your cable is faulty, or there are cold solder joints on the panels’ USB connector.

[quote=WorthyGamer post_id=86379 time=1583380529 user_id=4648]

Hey,

So lately I’ve been interested in Firelite’s PS-Tools, and today got a USB printer cable, downloaded PS-Tools, and began setting it up. Once connecting the USB cable to my laptop, it began intermittently connecting, disconnecting, and repeating (Keep in mind my 5UD’s version is 2.3). After attempting to connect to it with PS, no USB device was detected. I troubleshooted the driver, and it ended up coming up with no way of fixing it. Basically, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and somehow resolved it, or if I’m being dumb and not flipping a switch on the 5UD’s pcb or am in the right mode, or if my usb connector on the 5UD is busted (although it looks intact to me).

[/quote]

Alexis T might be right, check you cable by connecting it to a printer or check the soldering joints on the USB port on the panel.

When dealing with electronics, unless you are aware of some event that may have damaged the board (lightning strike, water spill, shorted NAC, etc), you should check everything else first:

1. Make sure you followed the connection instructions in the documentation precisely. Some software utilities require you to set the communication port parameters manually.
  2. Replace the USB cable and try step 1 again.
  3. Plug the cable into a different port on your laptop and try step 1 again.
  4. If possible, use a different PC to try step 1 again.
    Once all other possible factors are isolated now we might consider a panel issue.

Replace the cable, verify if the USB ports are enabled or “unlocked”. If the computer is still doing the same then the USB port from the fire panel may be bad and is necessary to replace the panel.

WorthyGamer,

I have run into similar USB problems before in FireLite panels. Make sure you do not have any other USB devices plugged in. I once had a USB dongle for a wireless mouse that caused connection problems with PS. As soon as I pulled out the dongle and started using the laptop touchpad, the problem vanished and never returned.

-Eric