Old XL3 panel reprogramming

Hi everyone,
We have 33+old XL3 panel (from Pyrotechnics) in our plant. Couple smoke detectors in one class A loop are failing due to aging .Due to their location above the Spent Fuel there are difficult to reach. So it was decide to abandon them in place and reprogram the panel to ignore any signal from these failing devices. Is there any way to reprogram an old 33+ year card on a way to ignore the trouble signal coming from a falling device.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you

That sounds like a spectacularly bad idea… especially in that kind of facility, not to mention the liability and insurance issues.

Besides, if you change the programming to remove the device you’ll end up with problems due to an unknown device (I don’t know how gracefully the XL3 would handle this.)

I’d recommend removing those smoke detectors and installing an aspirating smoke detection system (something like this) for areas that are hard to access. The detection equipment in these systems can be located outside of the problematic areas - you’ll just need some monitor modules to tie it to the XL3.

You are gonna have to figure out a way to get to them but I’m sure that there must be some sort of protocol.

[quote=randomperson post_id=86515 time=1584455845 user_id=3878]

That sounds like a spectacularly bad idea… especially in that kind of facility, not to mention the liability and insurance issues.

Besides, if you change the programming to remove the device you’ll end up with problems due to an unknown device (I don’t know how gracefully the XL3 would handle this.)

I’d recommend removing those smoke detectors and installing an aspirating smoke detection system (something like this) for areas that are hard to access. The detection equipment in these systems can be located outside of the problematic areas - you’ll just need some monitor modules to tie it to the XL3.

[/quote]

Thank you very much for your reply. We have decided to remove them after an extensive evaluation; NEIL ( insurance) and NRC are on board. We ended deciding to just replacing them though since the only other option is to replace the whole system which is in our industry is a very costly undertaking

Have you figured out a way to get access to the ones over the spent fuel pools?

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=86728 time=1585883307 user_id=18]

Have you figured out a way to get access to the ones over the spent fuel pools?

[/quote]

Yes we used A boomlift.

I went ahead and moved this topic to Fire Alarm Help.

To the OP, I’m glad to hear that you managed to get the problem solved!