No power up on batteries

I just got a fire lite ms 9050ud untested. I tried to power up the system with some three year old batteries. The panel didn’t start up. I don’t have a transformer yet, it’s on the way. I know your not supposed to start up on batteries. Is that a bad sign

It’s crazy but you can’t power up a 50 on batteries. Only when it’s powered up on AC will it fall back onto battery power.
You still should be good

Correct, you shouldn’t use batteries to power up panels, the AC input needs to be connected and powered on first. I’ve personally seen newer Fire Lite panes that got toasted by people doing this. Those panels did power up to some degree, but I wouldn’t say they did much more than that. On that note, I would expect the panel to show some sign of life when you connected those batteries.

Do you have a voltmeter or multi-meter to test those batteries? If the batteries are three years old and have not been used or charged, there may have not been enough power to do anything with them. Don’t test it on your panel again. Wait for that transformer.

[quote=mikedice711 post_id=87078 time=1590280360 user_id=6127]

It’s crazy but you can’t power up a 50 on batteries. Only when it’s powered up on AC will it fall back onto battery power.
You still should be good

[/quote]

Didn’t see this until after I posted.

Panels need to be powered by AC first because The panel has a battery charger That needs AC. Most panels will fry because of this, especially with older simplex panels like the 4001/4002. Also you’re not going to be able to keep the panel powered for too long as the batteries are only able to last up to 24-48 hours on a single charge (if they’re brand new batteries).