Testing heat detectors with blow dryers.

Can a heat detector be tested using a blow dryer?

Yes. In fact, I believe that is the recommended way to test it. Just make sure it’s on the low setting, and it’s at least 12 inches from the detector as to not damage the plastic.

Make sure it’s rate of rise not fixed or it’s a one shot deal.
Just short the terminals.

[quote="Gentex Guy" post_id=87507 time=1597529459 user_id=6212]

Yes. In fact, I believe that is the recommended way to test it. Just make sure it’s on the low setting, and it’s at least 12 inches from the detector as to not damage the plastic.

[/quote]

Don’t say it’s recommended. It isn’t. while it works, the only “recommended” way to test it is with an approved tester, many of which are similar to a blow dryer, but not exactly a blow dryer.

[quote=asengineered1 post_id=87569 time=1598321106 user_id=3586]

[/quote]

Yes, This for sure!

[quote=TheAlmightyZach post_id=87615 time=1599076566 user_id=3249] [quote="Gentex Guy" post_id=87507 time=1597529459 user_id=6212]

[/quote]

Don’t say it’s recommended. It isn’t. while it works, the only “recommended” way to test it is with an approved tester, many of which are similar to a blow dryer, but not exactly a blow dryer.

[quote=asengineered1 post_id=87569 time=1598321106 user_id=3586]

[/quote]

Yes, This for sure!

[/quote]

Yes, you definitely would need to use a proper testing device for heat detectors in a public building. I only said a hair dryer was a recommended method of testing in terms of residential heat detectors, as that is usually the method of testing listed in the manual. I should have specified that in my original reply, my bad!