Edwards coded pull issues/wiring help

Hey there, got a bit of a dumb question but I’m stumped right now.

I got my hands on an Edwards coded pull station not too long ago (270 type pull) and finally got around to testing it out. I was going to connect it to my Simplex 4051 on a 4050-80 but I ran into an issue during the process. When I applied power to the circuit, the horn would sound as if there was no switch blocking the source. I always wire my pulls in series to the horns I use, so I don’t know what’s different here.

Here’s how I did it. So I have my #1 and #2 terminals, 1 being the white wire (what I use for positive in this case) and black my negative that both go into the mechanism (I’m sorry, no images at the moment, on mobile). I connected my positive lead from my battery terminal to the #1/white wire on the pull station. I then wired the positive of my horn and light to the #2/black wire to my horn and light. Then I wired the negative side of the light and horn to the negative battery terminal.

Current should flow from positive into the switch where, when activated, will send power to the horn/light combo and back to the negative terminal of the battery, yet the horn and light activate as if there’s no pull/there’s a short somewhere. I don’t understand why the pull station/switch would be bad, it was old new unused stock, unless it was a DOA unit or I’m just doing something wrong.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow if necessary. Thank you very much!

Dumb question it was. I figured out it’s a design feature