Using One Pair of Wires for a 4-Wire Detector?

I am aware that I just posted a topic for powering speaker strobes, but I have one other question. I have a System Sensor 4WT-B that’s wired into an MS-2, and right now I have 2 pairs of wires for the zone and the resettable power hooked up to it. Could I forgo the resettable power and just have a single pair of zone wires jump from the zone contacts on the detector to the power terminals?

I think I could help you here. It is NOT possible! Even if you tried to cope with the EOL resistance, you would have a host of other problems:

1. The zone would be in infinite alarm, because the power terminals are linked.
  2. If the EOL resistor is not connected, the panel will not detect that.
  3. It could damage the smoke detector’s electronics.
    In short, I think it would be good to play it safe and use the resettable power.
    In any case, good question! I had to think about it for awhile.
[quote="The 4251-13" post_id=87905 time=1605812496 user_id=6165]

I think I could help you here. It is NOT possible! Even if you tried to cope with the EOL resistance, you would have a host of other problems:

1. The zone would be in infinite alarm, because the power terminals are linked.
  2. If the EOL resistor is not connected, the panel will not detect that.
  3. It could damage the smoke detector’s electronics.
    In short, I think it would be good to play it safe and use the resettable power.
    In any case, good question! I had to think about it for awhile.

[/quote]

You made some great points, I think you’re probably right that it’s a good idea to play it safe. Thanks!

No problem! :smiley:

try to get a small spool of 18/4
i know this is an old topic lol