NFS-320 Battery Sizes?

Hey. I recently picked up a Notifier NFS-320 from eBay. I plan on using this panel for a fully functional, up-to-code system. I am getting ready to purchase batteries for it and when I read the installation manual, it seems like the range for the battery charger is 18AH-200AH. So, I guess the smallest battery I can have in this panel is an 18AH battery? I managed to find some ADI 804077 12V 18AH 5.4A batteries, but I have no idea if these are rated for this panel or not. I know it’s a pretty stupid question, but I’ve never really bought batteries for any of my control panels before. I’ve always used a diode to dummy out the battery trouble, but I’d like to get legit batteries this time around. Just want to make sure the batteries I found are kosher, don’t want to blow up the batteries or worse, the panel itself…

4801_4f651101bf4987b5a0d02b7e450de060

Good question! From what I know, just make sure that the panel can handle the amperage. Two of those batteries will create 10.8 amps, so check the manual for the max amperage. If the panel can handle the amperage, I say just double check everything and you’re OK to use it. I’m not a professional, though. That’s why I added the double check step! :lol:

Well, it seems like the max amperage the battery charger can take is 5.7 amps. I don’t know if I’m reading that wrong from the manual or not…I’m going to dig around in the manual a bit more. Knowing me I’m either missing something or am reading something wrong :mrgreen:

Nick,

Batteries are sized by the load of the panel. There should be a battery calculation chart in your manual. Input the amp draw of the devices and accessories that you plan to use and the standby times and it will provide the minimum amp hour battery necessary. A set of 7ah or 12ah will probably be fine for most purposes and they will fit inside the cabinet. Anything larger will need an auxiliary battery cabinet.

[quote=pilot post_id=87930 time=1606183608 user_id=4714]

Nick,

Batteries are sized by the load of the panel. There should be a battery calculation chart in your manual. Input the amp draw of the devices and accessories that you plan to use and the standby times and it will provide the minimum amp hour battery necessary. A set of 7ah or 12ah will probably be fine for most purposes and they will fit inside the cabinet. Anything larger will need an auxiliary battery cabinet.

[/quote]

Ok, I can definitely figure out what I would need based off of what I’ll be using with this panel. It isn’t a very large system, just a simple demo system put together on a board with a handful FSP/FST-851’s, NBG-12LX’s, FDU-80 and SpectrAlerts. Thanks for the suggestion

The nfs-320 isn’t rated for anything smaller than 18AH batteries. Smaller would work as far as keeping it out of trouble but the panel is not rated rated for smaller. Any SLA 12V batteries 18-200ah should work. Per code the manufacturer date code should be printed on batteries. The charger setting needs to be set in veri-fire tools for equal to or less than 26ah or greater than 26ah.

18ah fit inside your cabinet shown. You must install the battery hardware spades facing out towards the door to fit the leads

The manual says up to 26AH batteries fit inside the cabinet shown. Not sure how, 18AH batteries are tight! Larger than 26AH will need to be installed in a separate cabinet. I have a different dilemma along the same line. I have inherited the maintenance of a few NFS-320’s. The manual clearly states that you should use 18 to 200AH batteries. It does not say, however, what would happen if someone installs smaller AH batteries. I have a few panels with 7 and 12AH batteries installed and they are busted open at the seams leaking battery acid. Less than a year after installation. I have sent an email to Honeywell asking if they’ve ever heard of a problem such as this. I thought I would reach out here also to see if anyone on this thread has heard of a system overcharging batteries to the point of rupture?