Simplex 4004 Buttons Malfunctioning

Okay. So, for those of you who don’t know, I’ve had a Simplex 4004 for a few months now. Barely any problems.

When we mounted it to the wall a few days ago, I have been getting a problem.

The alarm silence button is pretty much unresponsive. I press the daylights out of it, and it won’t even beep the piezo. It works on and off. One minute it’s working with no issue. The next, it’s unresponsive. The system reset button is doing a similar thing, but a lot less often. The acknowledge button works without issue. And no, the signal silence inhibit is not turned on. It does it even when the system is not in alarm.

It was doing this before I mounted it, but it only happened a few times and the issue only lasted about 1 minute.

Damage to the board, unless already present before I got it, is an impossibility. I carefully removed the board before we mounted the cabinet, and put it on something soft to insure no damage. The panel worked without flaws until the next the day when the problem presented itself again.

Anyone know what the problem could be? It’s really annoying, and if it’s the board, I’m about ready to call it quits with this panel. Really concerned and upset right now. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Membrane buttons are notorious for malfunctioning. I bought a 7100 that arrived with several malfunctioning keys and had to return it. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s much you can do unless you sent it in for repair and had the button replaced.

These companies will fix just about anything and usually give you a free diagnosis/estimate, but their repair services can be quite pricey:

http://www.isa-net.com/

Thanks. I thought they were called “soft keys”. I really can’t afford much, and it’s really not worth it. Better start looking for a new panel. Again, thanks for your help.

This happened to a user’s 4005 at one point. If you look hard enough or talk to some people, you may be able to find a replacement membrane for a good price.

They aren’t hard to replace, really.