Help on Speakers

Currently, I don’t own any speakers or speaker/strobes at the moment, but I have some questions on how to properly provide power to any FA speaker. I do know that I will need an amplifier, as a matter of fact, I just got myself a Pyle PCM20A amplifier for about a month.

Here are my questions

1. If the impedance of the speaker is either less than or more than 8 ohms, is there something I can do about it? The manual of the amplifier states that something can go wrong with the amplifier if the impedance of the speaker(s) does not come out to 8 ohms, and I don’t have any plans on hooking up more than one speaker at a time.

2. How do I hook up the speaker, given the attached picture seen below?
    [attachment=0]IMG_0755_resized.jpg[/attachment]

ok question 1 i cant help with but question 2 i can. to hook the speaker up you take the - if there is a - and+
and put it on com. since your only running one speaker at a time the + will connect to the 8 with the horse shoe

I’d hate to bump this topic, but is there anyone else on here who had no problems with wiring up speakers to an amplifier that can give me some advice? :?

Is your speaker 25 or 70 volt?

Like I said in my first post…

I meant what you are going to buy! Sorry about that, it’s the morning and I haven’t had breakfast yet…

Starting off with a Simplex 4902-9716 TrueAlert speaker (which can handle 25 or 70 volts).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4902-9716-SIMPLEX-Lightly-Used-/281102602941?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item41730552bd

In addition, I’m also planning to get more speakers and speaker/strobes (Simplex 2902-9732, E(T)70 remote speaker, SpectrAlert Advance SPSR, etc.)

I’m guessing, that you wire 1 wire to the 1st terminal and the other wire to 25 volts.

Assuming you’re not running an old-fashioned tube amplifier, you should be fine in going over 8 ohms.
As a general rule, with transistor devices, don’t go below the ohm rating, and with tube devices, don’t go over. You appear to have a transistor device.

STOP!

Nathan, you’re totally incorrect.

Fire alarm speakers work like PA Speakers. If there’s a transformer on the back, it won’t work the way you expect.

If you connect a fire alarm speaker to the 8Ω connection it’ll be very quiet. That’s because of the transformer. Do not do this as it also creates a power draw on the amp and may burn it out.

What you need to do is look at the transformer on the back and read its voltage rating – either 25 or 70.
If it’s 25V, you connect it to the 25V and the COMMON terminals on your amplifier, if 70V, the 70V and COMMON terminals.

I must remind people:
If you are unsure about your technical knowledge when helping someone on here, do not post a guess!