Simplex 4001 unknown problem.

Ok so today i recived a simplex 4001. I powered it up and it was working fine then i connected a pullstation but i also wanted to test the nac i wired the strobe up backwords twice but thats not the problem when i was wireing it up the right way i forgot to unplug the panel and the screw driver sliped from the screw and hit somethig i have no idea what i hit. Vut after i hit something the trouble LEDs truned off because i had a trouble in every zone and a signal trouble but anyway all the trouble LEDs turned off except the power LED and the buzzer came to a steady buzzzzzzzzzzz like it was in trouble. I have trouble silence turned on. can any one help me.

Thank You,
Nathan

Please respond fast!

Did you power down the panel and then power it back up?

It sounds like you shorted something related to the power supply…

Yes i did i had powered it down and let it sit for 30 min or so and powered it back up as well as checked all fuses and none of them were blown.

You Dumb $%&@!

Well, id toss the panel into the trash bin, you fried a NAC circuit…WHY THE $#&% WOULD YOU WIRE THE NAC BACKWARDS???

And you messed up the power supply, that panel is done…

rare panels should live with better owners…

ALSO,

NEVER WORK ON A PANEL WITH POWER ON!!!

I forgot the power was on! Good owners I’m am a good owner for it and it can be fixed. Now can some one help me trouble shoot the problem and tell me what I need to do please.

Haha, there’s no need to be rude about it (: he didn’t mean to do that I’m sure, also rare panels could be with anyone who buys them. And nathan I think you damaged the power supply, because if it was a NAC then it would show as trouble, not power trouble. But sam was right, never work with a panel without it being powered down. Doesn’t matter if you’re just gonna disconnect a pull station, or remove a NAC. You must always power it down. I once shorted a NAC and the panel wasn’t even in alarm and it damaged the panel pretty bad, he NAC still worked but A TON of resistors died. Just be careful next time.

How do you forget that it’s powered up?

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about guys. Nathan did exactly what other members have in the past.

SLOW DOWN! What did I just say??

SLOW DOWN

Understand what you have in front of you, read the diagrams, manuals, etc a dozen times and understand it BEFORE you touch anything.

Fire alarm panels are not toys. As I have said before gee like 100 times? They are sensitive electronics.

I hate to tell you Nathan but there is nothing more we can do for you here. If you did indeed short the panel out, than unless you know how to use a multimeter and a soldering gun you are a bit out of luck and I am not taking the time to explain to you how to troubleshoot a circuit board.

Buy Fire Alarm Parts They offer a repair service if you can not figure out how to fix it on your own.

Ok no trouble LEDs are on just AC power and the buzzer sounds in steady indicating a trouble even with trouble silince turned on. Jake so you think is with the power supply? I’m actly very good at soldering and if I’m not good enough me dad is way better them me. What exactly did I short?

Rare panels should live with owners who use apostrophes… :twisted:

hahaha

ANYWAY…

Nathan, you can try BuyFireAlarmParts…but they charge A LOT.

None of us can give you anything other than a guess. There is no way to know exactly what’s wrong unless you’re an electronics expert and know how to properly test a circuit board at the component level. Honestly, it’s not worth trying to fix it yourself. If it can’t be solved by replacing a fuse, there’s just way too much involved.

There are a few services that specialize in repairing fire alarm panels. I would recommend Test Point - you can send them your panel and they’ll give you an estimate for free. Odds are they can fix it, but the repair cost may be above the value of the panel itself. So unless you’re dead set on reviving this one, it might be time to start looking for a new panel.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there just isn’t much left to do in this situation. We’ve all been here and it sucks. You’ve learned the hard way, but at least you’ll be more cautious in the future. :smiley:

There was no need for an apostrophe in that sentence.

Do you know what a run on sentence is? That was one fucking long sentence he used.

I never said anything about the power supply. I was almost tempted to delete the post of the user that posted it since he had no clue what he was talking about.

I do everything in my power to try and help people avoid these situations, so I am really not to tempted to help correct them… Sorry but it gets pretty annoying to repeat the same warnings and then see them flat out ignored, and then have someone come beg for help after they ignore the warnings and damage the panel. Good luck.

So everyone is running buy a guess if I upload a video will it help and I am going to have the panel fixed because I like it. :smiley:

I’m sorry I was not meaning to get you angry. I was stupid and completely forgot it was plugged in.

The panel is used it was pulled from a college and a family friend gave it to me as we’ll as 30 other alarms.

Nathan, I am not mad… I am frustrated.

We do our best here to prevent this stuff from happening. No one want’s to listen until it’s to late.

Ok I understand. Like I said I forgot the power was on

Do you have a multimeter? You should be able to use it to check the power supply’s voltage output… right?

Wouldn’t recommend doing that since the OP may not know exactly where to meter. 120VAC surging through a multimeter would not be a pretty sight.

I don’t think a video would get us any further in helping you. If you’re willing to pay the cost, getting it repaired is your best bet. Good luck!