What is a good power source for a Simplex 4050?

I recently got a Simplex 4050. It is a 6 volt AC; 1.8 amps. Now, I’ve been wanted to set this alarm off for quite some time now, I just don’t know how. I am looking for something quite simple to use; something I can use instead of spending time and money on a large set up. Something simple, like a battery. Would I need some kind of transformer? I personally am stuck. Is it even possible to use a battery(s)? What is a good cheap power source? I am just new to this and want to find out more. Sorry if I sounded stupid…

I would recommend a transformer. I’ve got four 6-volt batteries wired together to create 24 vdc, however I don’t think they would work with an AC alarm. That’s why I never plan to get a 4050. I would get a 4051, which works on DC.

But again, I think a transformer would be your best bet. If you don’t have one that puts out 6 volts AC, then search eBay. You would have to clip off any connector that might be on the end and strip the wires.

All these different voltages bug me a bit. I commonly see 12 volt alarms on eBay. I believe all systems should be 24 volts DC.

Batteries are out of the question, as those put out DC unless paired with an inverter. All an AC horn would do is click once.

Maybe I’ll wire an adaptor to my alarm, and use the batteries. I personally though batteries were AC powered. I guess I can FINALLY power my Simplex 4040 with a with a 6 volt battery then.

No.

Unless you have an inverter, batteries will not provide the correct waveform.
An “adapter” and an inverter are two different things as well.

While it is complicated in it’s wording, here is the wikipedia article on power inverters.

Your best bet is to find a 6 volt transformer since all transformers output AC.

That’s what I thought. Thanks for the help.

Dang it, I did not mean to say adaptor, I meant transformer. :oops:

check the internet or your yellow pages for a local electrical or electronics shop (as I doubt Radio Shack - if you still have them - will be any help) for something. Typically, places like that have sales staff who are actually knowledgeable. All Electronics used to have a good selection of hobbyist stuff, too.

a thought that comes to mind is a plug-in AC transformer. Older alarm systems used 9v or 12vac transformers. perhaps you can get your hands on a 12vac transformer and wire two of your 6vac horns in series.

While 24vdc is today’s industry standard, AC signals were used in old systems where these devices were wired in series, and there was a large variable resistor in the panel to adjust the current. I actually have manuals on how to do this using a Triplett 310C analog meter.

I’m about to get a beige Simplex 4050 that is new in box!

What is an ideal power source? I was thinking using an AC adapter.