Fire Alarm Questions

Just a few questions,

1. Where exactly does a smoke detector have to be in the panel room? If you have the panel in a large room, can you have it in the center of the room as opposed to right above the panel?

2. What is the candella rating for sleeping places? I heard it can be any candella as long as you have a low frequency tone in the same room

3. What is the farthest a pull station can be from an exit, I heard 60 in. is this true?

4. If a door were to be open and it was covering the view of a pull station, is this against code?

Sorry If i am asking too much questions, I’m just trying to make my new system as in code as I can.

If anyone can answer these then, thank you!

Most of these depend on your local regulations. As far as the distance of a pull station from an exit, I’ve noticed pull stations less than a foot from the exit, in my area. I saw a music video once with a pull station on the door frame, or touching the side of it.

And for the candelas rating, I’ve heard a number than was over a 100 candelas, but again it varies by location and room size, and that could have been true. Just telling you what I heard.

There’s no problem with asking questions…

1. It must be in the same room as the FACP. I’ve seen them directly above the panel, or in the center of the room.
  2. 110 cd.
  3. Not sure, sorry.
  4. Yep, because the pull station is not easily accessible, and because it is concealed, people probably will not know it is there.

Thanks andrew! I assumed it was 60 because in a video that Simplex made testing their alarms they said, the pull had to be at least 60 inches but i couldn’t hear well so i wasnt sure… And thanks tsscman!

based on NFPA or ADA as required:

• panel smoke must be within 20-25 feet of the panel.
  • pull stations must be within 5 feet of an egress door.
  • 110 cd strobes for ADA

Depending on which code the AHJ is under the smoke can be mounted on the wall above the fire panel within 5 ft of the unit. Other than that it would be a specific use detector and would not need to cover the entire space.

New code adopted Jan 1 2014. Low frequency horns are required. 500htz. System Sensor makes the only one to date. Rumor is EST is shipping one Feb 1. Visuals are required in ADA rooms. The strobe must be within 16ft of the pillow and be 100cd.

5 ft from the door.

If the door is not a marked exit it should be fine. However it is in the path of egress the manual station will need to be unblocked.

Welcome to the forum, fire alarm guy.
Be sure you read the rules: https://forums.thefirepanel.com/cms/rules.php
and if you have any questions feel free to send a message!