Notifier 1010 FACP

Howdy all,

my facility is “protected” by a very old, maxed out, and now “flakey” NOTIFIER 1010 FACP. It appears the the power supply is failing, as evidenced by its intermittent “tripping off” and needing a manuel reset. I am being told that Notifer no longer makes the MPS-24A powers supply. I have found a few listed on EBAY, but they are all used. We decided long ago against installing used parts in any of our life/safety systems…so that route is off the table.

Anyway, we have made the decision to upgrade. Thus, I have alot of questions for the “experts”.

Is there really no other power supply that will work with this panel?

Will all of our peripheral devices work with a new Notifier panel?

and,

what is the generally accepted, most common upgrade when the 1010 goes south?

Any objective comments and answers are most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hi! I would recommend calling your fire alarm service company to discuss upgrade options. Using anything other than the power supply that is UL listed for that panel is inadvisable and could cause damage to the system.

Although it depends on the size of your facility, the direct replacement for your AFP-1010 would probably be the Notifier NFS-640. It can be retrofitted into the 1010’s cabinet and should be able to use existing addressable devices. If you could check the model # of the pull stations or smoke detectors installed, we can tell you for sure. Your notification appliances can be kept.

I asked at work about a power supply, I was told there’s no current power supplies that would be able to power an AFP-1010, so your best bet is to just replace it.

If your definition of “maxed out” means that all or nearly all the addresses on the SLCs are used… your best bet would be an NFS2-3030 with three SLC cards, for a total of four SLCs. If you don’t have more than 636 devices, then the smaller and less expensive NFS2-640 would suit you.

All your devices on the AFP-1010 will work with the NFS2-3030 or NFS2-640, since it is backwards compatible. Also, all the current devices for the Onyx (NFS) series panels are backwards compatible with older panels such as the AFP-1010. If you have any annunciators those will work as well.

Talk to your fire alarm service company and see about an upgrade.
It would be a very quick swap-out since the configuration from the 1010 can be converted and dumped into the 3030 or 640.

Or:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Notifier-MPS-24A-Main-Power-Supply-Complete-Brand-New-NOS-NIB-/321092606479?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item4ac29c5a0f

It says there are 8 available.

Wow, you guys are on it!

thanks for the information. I realize we cannot just swap in a different PS, but wondered if NOTIFIER made other models which might work…moot issue now, If I can procure one from EBAY.

Our Alarm Service provider, unfortunately, is NOT a NOTIFIER dealer, and they are quick to throw up their hands when facing any issues with the main panel. (NOT my choice of service companies…one of the disadvantages of working for a “bureaucracy”) :smiley:

Will likely get the MPS, and start making plans to upgrade. Thanks again!

I noticed you’re in San Diego.

Give a company in CA called Pyro-Comm a call. They have an office near you.
They are a Notifier dealer and two of their employees are members on this forum.