help setting up a security system to trip fire alarm?

Hey guys!

So heres what i’m currently faced with. I want to put up smoke detectors around the house that will trip the fire alarm system in my room. But i can’t run wires everywhere because i can’t reach in some locations. So therefore, I put up some Ademco Wireless detectors in those locations. And they are programmed to a Honeywell Lynx Plus controller. So when one detector goes off, it alarms on the security panel. However, I want the security panel to trip a zone on my SK-5208. Basically what i had in mind was using the 12V Program output on the back of the panel to trip a relay of some sort. and the relay would be connected to a zone. I would program the 12V output to activate for fire only. Basically this is what i had in mind

12V Program Output------> Relay (closed when the 12v is applied) -------> Contacts from the side that closed on the relay -----> Zone on SK-5208

Just wondering if anybody who has knowledge with relays could possibly help me identify what type id need, and possibly provide a small schematic.

Thanks!

-Firealarmtech

Here’s a quick schematic I drew up in Circuitlab:

Wire the security output to the coil, and the alarm IDC (zone) to the N/O contacts.

You will need a 24VDC SPDT (single-pole double-throw) relay to do this. You can get away with a single-throw relay, if you can find one; SPDTs are more common. As for parts, try this.

Any questions, let me know!

Awesome! Thanks! I’ll head over to radioshack later. I did some research and would a 12V DPDT relay work as well? And Connect the 12v program output to the Coil on the relay and the Com and NO to the IDC?

A DPDT would work if you only used four of the eight terminals. Keep in mind your relay needs to be 24 VDC because that’s the output of fire alarm zones.

Exactly. I believe polarity doesn’t matter on the coil, but remember Com and NO for the FACP zone.

Awesome. Thanks man. I’ll try to get a video up later of the system in action.
Thanks again!

No problem. It’s the least I can do considering I have no life! :wink:

If the output on the security panel is 12V, a 12V relay should be used, because 12V may be below the minimum operating voltage for a 24V relay, which is usually around 16 Volts. What should be 24V is the contact rating, because, as The Big Green said, it is the output on the zones.