Post #2 for the undescribed terminals on Simplex 4004

This is the first time I worked on a Simplex 4004 that is used for general alarm. I downloaded a .pdf installation manual for this panel but it doesn’t explain what terminals 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 on the main board are for and how they are used.

I have a AP&C model relay card with 24 VAC attached to the “N/C” and “C” dry contacts that cuts power to the door holders when panel goes into Alarm mode.

Also, the panel door LED alarm zone display is not working.

The ribbon cable going to the alarm zone indicator card has the black wire and adjoining wire stripped for connecting but they are not connected to the panel terminals. I suspect that the indicator card gets its’ power from the terminal connections and the relay card is powered from the terminal connections when the fire panel goes into alarm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I couldn’t see how to access my original post to edit it and add a picture so I am reposting with a picture.

Toronto, Ontario guy

From the Simplex 4004 Manual:

This explains the uses of Terminals 7, 8, and 9.

Terminals 1 and 2 are standard auxiliary outputs. Terminal 1 supplies 24 Volts and terminal 2 is the negative return for the circuit.

As for terminals 10 and 11, I cannot find any information within the manual. You should check to see if the documentation you have for the panel includes a 841-992 Field Wiring Diagram, which should further clarify the purposes of the terminals.

This is the front panel door with the 8 Zone LED indicators.
There is an annunciator module that screws onto the back of the front panel door that has a 10 wire ribbon cable attached to it.
The individual LED circuits have a 3.3K current limiting resistor.
The black in the ribbon is common to the negative of each diode in the individual LED circuits.T
The white wires gives positive power to all the LEDs.
The other 8 wires are attached to the “AUX” terminal by each Detection Zone.
The “AUX” contact on the alarm detection zone goes to “0” volts when the fire alarm panel goes into alarm.
The Detection Zone “AUX” connection is attached between the 3.3K resistor and the + of the diode on the annunciator module.
The “AUX” sinks the current in the LED circuit to give the LED enough current to turn on brightly.

I suspect someone cut a corner by bypassing an interface module and since I am not familiar with the fire panel itself I can’t prove that to be the case. A custom indicating circuit wouldn’t be hard to make.

The missing piece to the puzzle is the proper installation manual. I have left 2 voice mails for 2 different tech support people at Simplex (Canada) and I haven’t got a response so if anyone can give me a link where I can download the proper installation manual for this panel, or a hand sketch of the proper wiring, that would be greatly appreciated.

Toronto, Ontario guy

The 4004 shouldn’t have Zone indicator LED’s on the front door, or at all. What you’re seeing in the picture that you attached is just a sticker where zone descriptions could be written on. Additionally, there is a space for the Annunciator module on the Fire Alarm board, so it shouldn’t be screwed into the door. Something about this panel sounds a bit off, do you have a picture of the actual panel to which you are referring?

Here are several documents relating to the 4004, hopefully one of them is the one that you need: http://firealarmresources.com/simplex-4004/

This is the front door of the fire panel showing the zone indicating LEDs and the back of the front door showing the LED module.

Does this ring a bell with anyone.

Toronto, Ontario guy

Woah. Never seen a 4004 like that one before. Do you, by chance have its full model number? It should be listed on the label on the door and should be something along the lines of 4004-xxxx.

Complete model number is: 4004-9103c

Wow, well I can honestly say that I didn’t know that this variant of the 4004 existed until now.

I still haven’t heard back from Canadian Tech support or from the American head office when I left them an email Monday afternoon.

I haven’t dealt with Simplex in the past and I won’t in the future if this is the way they treat their customers.

There were 2 sets of numbers on the LED ribbon connection strip. They are:

291085 4390

and

733 899 570-079

Toronto, Ontario guy

Don’t quote me on this, but I’ve heard that Simplex is notorious for not being very helpful to non-Simplex techs, unfortunately.

Is there a Simplex tech out there that could push my inquiry?

You can take my photos from my post and email them to him.

Toronto, Ontario guy

Try posting on this Facebook group, and that’s where you’ll probably have the best chance at getting in contact with a Simplex tech. Redirecting...

If you give me your email I can email you all 3 of the PDF manuals which include
Simplex 4004+Alarm+Situation+Operating+Instructions
Simplex 4004+City+Connect+&+DACT+Module+Manual+Rev+B
Simplex 4004+Installation+&+Operating+Manual+Rev+C
Simplex 4004+IO+Cards+Installation+Manual+Rev+A

Or Can I just PM them to you on here?

Hope I can help :slight_smile:

-Chris

Thanks Chris,

You can PM me.

Please check the manuals first because they look familiar to me from other sites that I have been at and they didn’t contain the hookup to the panel door LED module.

My panel model is 4004-9103c.

The only reference that I have found to this particular model was in a reference to a specification sheet for a big project where that panel model was mentioned as a viable choice for a fire alarm control panel.

That article was dated 2003.

If all else fails I will simply troubleshoot the circuit and try to make an evaluated, educated guess as to its’ proper functioning and make the proper wiring connections.

I suspect there was an interface module that supervised the LEDs with a small supervisory current flow of about 0.003 Amperes, just enough to give a very weak glow.

Worst case scenario is that I cover over the LEDs with a number strip from 1 to 8 to correspond to the numbered digital display in the panel.

The LED display may be an “option” for this panel and may not necessarily be required to function.
The criteria is that the alarmed zone needs to be “identified”.

I am out the door now heading to work so I will see your reply later today.

Toronto, Ontario guy

I could try contacting a 'friend" at simplex

I PM’ED it to you. Im also posting them here just in case anyone else needs them.
Link to dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gxi44nsbtgksl0w/AADczV674MZXo3J09b8Xp6B1a

I am sorry for the HUGE bump, but I have recently acquired a simplex 4004-9103C from my work. They are a rare breed and are very cool collectors items