Adaptabell Help

Well, I’m back and I need more help. :oops: So I just bought a huge Adaptabell at an antique show. It’s an older one, with the E for Edwards in a little shield or whatever. It’s 115 volts, and it also says: No. 340, 60 Cycle, .075 Amps. One problem: I can’t figure out how to wire it up! I took off the metal cover on the back, which exposed a yellow sticker warning to not remove the gong and a little black square-ish thing, with 3 holes, the one in the middle with something golden in it, and what looks like two OLD wires coming out the sides. help would be much appreciated! :smiley:

Is the plug on the actual bell still there?
That’s a standard AC outlet. Since yours is 120V, you can just hook an extension cord to it and plug it in.

It’s the thing under the yellow sticker:

Great… the plug is gone.

This means you’re SOL unless you take the back cover off the bell and find the wires and tie on a cable.

Wait.
It looks like the male and female ends are joined. Can you disconnect that piece?

Got it off:

Good. The “outlet” side of the plug should be attached to the back plate.
To use the bell, just grab an extension cord, plug it into the bell (non-polarized), and then plug in the cord.
If it rings, the bell works!

Ahh, Looks like I wasn’t able to tell from the picture.
Good call, mytechtime.

So, I can’t just hook up a 3 prong cord into the wall, then hook up the stripped end to the screws? Just making sure…

Yes, that would be the correct way to do it.

Oh, I tried that, and nothing happened. :frowning:

Do you have a multimeter? If so then check to see if there is connectivity across the terminals. If there is connectivity then you made a wiring mistake. If not, then the bell is broken.

It is way easier to just hook a 2 prong extension cord to the bell.

The prongs on older devices aren’t always the standard outlet size. Also, if he wanted to install it for demonstration then that is the proper way to wire it.

Well, this is for testing.
I have the same model adaptabell, and a plug fits on it fine.

In the end it doesn’t really matter which way. Whichever you prefer lol.

In my opinion its better for him to find out if it works first, then try to fix any problem. Just saying :mrgreen: