Advice to talking your parents in to letting you get alarms from eBay??

Now I have a couple of alarms but I didn’t get any of them from eBay. I wanted to buy a couple of rare devices from eBay but my mom, having a bad experience with eBay, tells me to wait until next week to discuss it. So I talked to my Dad instead, and with him being an engineer, he understood a little bit better. I tried to tell them that extremely rare devices like the ones I’m interested in buying sell really fast, but they want me to wait a week. Now, knowing with months’ worth of eBay searches and listings of alarms, I know they sell fast, typically in a timeframe less than a week. I’m going on a trip tomorrow but I really want them now. And when they got all grumpy about it they told me there would be plenty more like it available in a week. But older and more rare devices typically aren’t, so does anybody have any suggestions on how I might go about getting some alarms off eBay with parents that don’t realize that I’m the only person in this world interested in this stuff and think there gonna get scammed or something despite me telling them that I read all the feedbacks for the sellers and if there’s multiple bad feedbacks I don’t trust the listing like anybody else would?

Besides if it wasn’t alarms or it was something they were getting themselves they wouldn’t be all grumpy about it! :smiley:

Sorry for the run on sentence; I’m in a hurry to get this typed! I do appreciate any suggestions and I’ll update this topic because I might possibly be able to talk them into it myself.

It’s just that I don’t have an eBay account because I’m not old enough to have my own credit card and stuff like that so my parents just buy it from their accounts and then I just pay them back for whatever I owe.

…Not like I would want to be stuck paying credit card bills and stuff like that :smiley: … I mean I will have to eventually, probably when I graduate from High School, but not now!

Well, for one I’d show them this post I’m going to write right here :smiley:

I don’t think that it is a terrible idea for them to suggest to wait a week or two before buying something off eBay. It’s very easy to lure yourself into an impulse buy, especially if it is an uncommon item like you are saying, whether it be an alarm or not. You also gotta remember, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get an item the first time you see it :wink: . It will sell quickly, you’re right, and it won’t be there next week, or maybe even for several months. It can be frustrating, especially since one was sitting right there just itching to be purchased , but eventually another one will turn up online. I waited nearly a year from the time I lost an auction for a Simplex 4051 until I had another chance to buy one. Regardless, I still ended up with it in the end.

It’s very kind of your parents to allow you to use their account for buying. That also means it’s up to you to make them comfortable with what you are purchasing. On the topic of scams, I’m currently an active eBay seller, and make no mistake about it when I tell you that eBay is cracking down HARDER THAN EVER on poor seller performance. As a buyer, it is unlikely for you to have a negative buying experience nowadays. The few times I have ever experienced issues with a seller, the problems were resolved quickly and smoothly. While the effects of this new policy on sellers is another story, as a buyer your parents should be confident that the item will arrive properly, or that any issues will be quickly resolved.

Another thing to consider is that several users on this board are re-sellers as well. When buying from them, you can be confident that they share the same interest in the alarm devices as you do, and are not out to sell junk looking for quick cash. Samson, Jack, Jared (currently away), and myself all strive to provide excellent service to our eBay customers, as do many other sellers who are too numerous to name. I’m not going to provide all of our usernames here because it’s not my place to do so, but I know they would be happy to share them if they wish, as am I.

Your parents can also consult the BUYERS BEWARE page on this website. If the seller you wish to buy from is not listed there, it means none of us have had issues with them noteworthy of reporting to our moderators. This should steer them clear of any offenders specifically in the fire alarm marketplace. However, this is by no means a complete list of dishonest sellers (focuses only on complaints from buyers on this board) and their feedback should always be consulted before purchasing.

On the topic of the ‘demand’ for alarms on eBay, when I was younger my parents also had a hard time understanding that there were others out there interested in these devices besides me. Pull up the “Fire Alarms” category on eBay and switch over to “SOLD Listings” and you will quickly see just how much alarm equipment has sold in the past few days!! We’re pushing almost 900 users on this forum, not to mention there are collectors on YouTube with thousands of subscribers interested in this topic. There’s certainly some interest out there!

If you just give your parents a little patience and make sure they’re confident about using eBay, you shouldn’t have any problems with it. Remember, online transactions can truly be very dangerous and their reservations about eBay are understood. EBay is an EXTREMELY safe place to purchase, but you still have to be knowledgeable about the risks involved.

You can’t “talk them into” letting you buy stuff, but you can address their concerns and hope that they eventually agree to your request.

If you have any other questions about concerns about purchasing on eBay, you (or your parents) are free to send me a PM through the board messages. Good luck!

(And remember, at the end of the day, it’s only just a fire alarm)

Thanks for the advice!
Fortunately, my dad sided with me and said that if I had the money, I could buy the device. So I bought my items, and here’s what I got! (I bought them from Samson).

Simplex 4050-80 Light Plate
Gamewell M46-28 Century Pull Station with Century Backbox
Notifier LNG-1R

And of course I had to buy a Notifier 17021 key because I don’t have one. I got one for a steal at $2.80. I’m going to be on vacation for a few days but as soon as I return home (if the items have arrived by then; which they likely will); I’ll take plenty of pictures and post them on my collection page on the forums.
Even though I didn’t have to use it (because my Dad sided with me), I really appreciate the advice. This kind of advice could especially help others out there new to alarms and being in a similar situation.

My parents by the way were being just strict because they wanted to ensure that I didn’t get ripped off and after I delved into a long lecture about how Samson’s a collector and a trusted seller and all that (though they probably have no idea what I’m talking about :D) they let me get the items. And now I’m extremely excited for them to get here. and they told me to chill out and not blow my vacation away because I’m thinking about my new (and rare) alarms.

Great! Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you got some pretty cool items!

Should we also mention the “System Sensor SpectrAlert” to him?

Looks like I already did. Anyways, be wary of the SpectrAlert. If it seems too cheap to be true, it’s probably the Chinese rip-off.

Ive tried to get my parents to allow me to pay them to buy me alarm related things off of ebay since i dont have means of electronic payment yet (still in high school with no official job) but they dont think it is practical.