Dual 24 Hour test

Hello all,

Anyone have any insight on a new requirement that there be a Dual 24 Hour test on Fire Panels??

I have a Fire Lite MS5UD installed and it is doing just that. Can’t find a way to stop it.

I am hearing it is a UL issue but am looking for the details.

Thanks for any comments or insight.

Les

I find your questioning a bit odd coming from a Casual Participant that is 13 years old. :roll:

I have been in the alarm business for over 27 years. This MS5UD is installed in a Church
and as stated it doing a Dual 24 Hour Test to the Central Station.

The panel display shows that the system is Normal.

I don’t know if this needs to be moved to to ‘Fire Alarm Help’ section since I am trying to Generally find out
if someone has details on a NEW UL directive or standard that the Manufacturer are now complying to for
a panel operation.

Please advise.

Les

What do you mean by dual 24 hour test?

There’s an option to have it test both the primary and secondary lines, and it could also be set to test every 12 hours instead of 24.

The latest nfpa 72 says the phone lines need to be tested every 6 hours now, before 2013 it was every 24 hours. Your firelite is capable of testing every 6 hours.

Chris,

By Dual 24 hour test I mean I am getting two(2) 24 hour test signals being sent to the Central Station.

Apparently each line (Line 1 & Line 2) is sending a test every 24 hours.
Needless to say I am being billed by the C/S for twice or “Dual 24 Hour Test Signals”.

I presently have the selection set to 24 hour. You are suggesting it should be set to 12 hour??
Would I not then get four(4) signals per day??

I am trying to understand what has changed with the NFPA or UL or both.
This may be the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

If others are not aware then maybe it can be said you heard it here first.

I am still researching the issue as well as looking for input.

Thanks,

Les

I moved this post to the Fire Alarm Help section.

My apologies for this. As a staff, we ask time and time again that only experienced users reply to these posts, yet it still falls on deaf ears.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the site, please contact me or another member of the Forum Staff Team. Thank you!

Nick,

Thanks, not a problem.
I assume your thoughts are that more eyes will see the post
in the Fire Alarm Help section.

Have a good weekend.

Les

I see what you’re saying now. Yes, changing it to 12 hours would have it send in 4 reports, so don’t do that unless required.

Looks like you have it set up so both lines test every 24 hours. From the manual:

[quote] Report Style The DACT can be programmed to transmit reports to primary and/or secondary central station phone numbers as a backup. Press 2 while viewing Central Station Screen #1 to display the following screen: Press 1 to have all reports transmitted to the central station secondary phone number as a backup only if the primary phone line fails, 2 to transmit all reports to both the primary and secondary phone numbers all of the time, or 3 to send reports to the first available phone number. [/quote]

As for changes in the NFPA, as of 2013 they want it sent every 6 hours I believe, I’ll have to do some digging though. Before 2013 it was every 24 hours. If the system was installed under a different set of codes, then it doesn’t apply.

[quote]

Looks like you have it set up so both lines test every 24 hours. From the manual:

Report Style
The DACT can be programmed to transmit reports to primary and/or secondary central station
phone numbers as a backup. Press 2 while viewing Central Station Screen #1 to display the following
screen:
Press 1 to have all reports transmitted to the central station secondary phone number as a backup
only if the primary phone line fails, 2 to transmit all reports to both the primary and secondary
phone numbers all of the time, or 3 to send reports to the first available phone number.

[/quote]

Actually I had it set for “3 first available” and the “1 backup” it makes no difference.
I am not sure but it seems that the firmware version (which I think is) v3.1 has something to
do with the issue.

I also removed the phone number and account number from Secondary Communication. Panel goes into trouble.

Also removed test codes from Secondary Communication and it continues with double testing.

Which is why I am asking here.

Thanks for any input,

Les

I don’t appreciate the remarks, I was simply trying to help out. Just cause I’m a casual participant doesn’t mean I don’t have any knowledge under my belt

:lol: :roll:

Nobody is saying you aren’t knowledgeable in certain areas, but some questions are better left for technicians with real-world experience :wink:

Let’s stay on topic to ABLE1’s question, please. NJMoo3652, if you have concerns, please PM me.

Thank you!