Help with Simplex Panel

Hi guys, first post here. I have a nursing home that has a Simples 4010ES panel. Life Safety has requested they add a smoke detector to a room. My question is, how difficult is it to program this additional point? Can it be done through the keypad on the main panel without any special tools or programs? I can get into level 3 to put it in walk test by pressing [redacted] when I do my inspections. Im thinking of getting a 4098-9792 smoke with a 4098-9714 base. Im tempted to give it a shot but dont want to mess anything up. Thanks!

Hello and welcome!

I’m a moderator here on the forums; you may have noticed I made a slight edit to your post to remove the presence of the default level 3 pass-code. Since this forum is publicly view-able, and default passcodes represent potential security risks, we just ask that these codes are kept off of the forum. However, discussions regarding passcodes are allowed through the private message feature.

If you have any questions or issues regarding the site, please contact me or another member of the Staff Team. Hopefully, a Fire Alarm Tech will be around shortly with a response to the questions in your post.

Thank you and welcome again!

Ok, cool. Thanks for explaining that. I’ll make sure I wont post any codes in the future.

The 4010ES was released after I retired, however I have continuing contact with the people in my old district office. As far as I know, there is no front panel programming of the 4010ES. Everything must be done through the ES Panel Programmer software. The 4010ES is downloaded by Ethernet and the current and past cfig programs are stored in a compact flash memory card on the CPU.

The original 4010 had front panel programming available for the simplest of panels. When certain cards were added (DACT, network, RS-232) then all programming had to be done with the 4010 Panel Programmer software.

Awesome, thank you for clarifying that. That’s what I was afraid of. I’ll let them program then. Thanks again.

That’s correct, the 4010ES does not offer and front panel programming. You will need the correct version of ES programmer (and a security dongle of course).