EST III Crash

Is it just a random smoke or does it have specific functions tied to it? Like is it an elevator recall smoke detector? Stair pressurization? Etc.

Is this smoke in a specific area? There could be a rule written for that particular smoke to reboot the system. EST is a PITA because you have to tell it to do everything.

Could also be like a buffer overflow problem if there are too many rules or lines in a single rule. I haven’t turned on an EST3 in several years but have worked on systems where the rules had to be broken up into smaller pieces.

Any chance the customer has a copy of the program? I’m pasting a sample of what I mean for rules below. The company I used to work for would typically put in a single bypass switch for us to test/work on the system. This particular job had a lot of stuff to bypass so the rule had to be split in two (high rise Class E system in NYC - basically a voice system in a hotel with smoke control, etc.).

Note that some of the formatting for how the text appears here as compared to the rule editor is lost. Basically, anything after the colon is a command, so pushing switch SW ‘FSI_TEST_SW’ commands OFF everything on the right side of the colon.

{------------------------------------SYSTEM DISABLE CONTROLS--------------------------------------------}

[FSI TEST MODE 1]
SW ‘FSI_TEST_SW’ :

AMPOFF -HIGH ‘L*AMP’ TO ‘CH_EVAC_01_08’,
AMPOFF -HIGH 'L
AMP’ TO ‘CH_ALERT_01_08’,
OFF -HIGH 'L
SPKR_CKT’,
OFF -HIGH VISIBLE 'L
STROBE’,
OFF -HIGH VISIBLE 'L
ADA_STROBE’,
OFF -HIGH NSO 'L
DR_RELEASE’,
OFF -HIGH NSO 'L4_SHUTTER_
’,
OFF -HIGH NSO ‘PE’,
OFF -HIGH NSO ‘SE’,
OFF -HIGH ‘ELEV_RECALL’,
OFF -HIGH ‘ALARM_TO_CO*’,
OFF -HIGH ‘TRBL_TO_CO*’,
OFF -HIGH ‘SUPV_TO_CO*’,
OFF -HIGH ‘CO_TO_CO*’,
OFF -HIGH ‘PUMP_RUN_TO_CO*’,
OFF -HIGH ‘PUMP_FAIL_TO_CO*’,
STEADY ‘FSI_TEST_LED’;

[FSI TEST MODE 2]
SW ‘FAN_DMPR_DIS_SW’ :

DISABLE CMDLIST ‘PFSD_SHUT_CMDLIST’,
OFF -HIGH ‘L*FSD’,
DISABLE NSO 'L
FAN_RLY’,
DLYR 10,
OFF -LATCH 'L
FAN_RLY*’,
STEADY ‘FAN_DMPR_DIS_LED’;

I can’t be any help on the EST or Siemens panels.

On the Simplex I can think of a few ways to find out what is going on. Easiest first thing to do is swap addresses on the offending station and another one. Then test them. If the problem stays with the original station at the new address that looks like a hardware issue with that physical station. If the problem stays on the same address no matter which hardware is set to that address that looks like a software issue.

There could be some corruption in the network database file. There are troubleshooting utility files available on the tech support web site that can check and rebuild the network database file.

The SOS monitor in the GCC and IMS created an information file when they crash. I am sure that utility is also running in the TSW. The file contains information on what the unit was doing when the crash occurred. Sometimes tech support can decipher the data. If they can’t, it is sent to a software engineer for an answer.

There is no rule you’re going to be able to write to tell the system to throw a reboot fault.

You can’t swap device addresses on EST the way you csn with Simplex or Notifier, sadly.

99% it’s a 3-CPU issue. It could theoretically be the SSDC or the PPS but highly unlikely. The only other possibility is that of possible AC voltage feeding back on the SLC into the SSDC. Again, unlikely.

You start seeing constant reboot faults - 3-CPU is a going!